advcie please , Update page 4

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gabrielle1976, May 5, 2009.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I think there is something wrong with my 2 day old chick , he is in a group of 7 chicks so he isnt lonely, he has food so he cant be hungry ? He has water so he cant be thirsty? the brooder temp is about 92.3 he cant be cold no one else is not even the teeny tiny button , but starting abotu 4am [​IMG] and still going strong he has been doing what can only be called a distress peep, I looked at him his but is ok his eyes beek nose and head look ok his wings and feet and toes look ok , his belly looks ok.
    What the hell am I sapose to do with a tiny little banty chick who wont stop crying for no apernt reason? [​IMG]
    Should I take him out and hold him and try to get him to eat and drink just to make shure he isnt being a turky chick and not learning how , please any ideas would be grate he is tiny and Im worried about him and honsetly I want to be able to sleep tonight [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    I had one that was like that. I never did figure out what the deal was. She just peeped like a distress peep up untill she was about 4 months old. I had her until she started laying and then traded her for a banty to a friend. My friend has her, she's still healthy and laying. Not a loud mouth anymore. I just think sometimes chicks might be complainers. I don't know. [​IMG] Just like some baby humans are more fussy than others. Good luck [​IMG]

3. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    My smallest one was doing that. At first she was eating etc and seemed fine but...she died this morning. All I can say is make sure it really is eating etc and maybe put a stuffed animal or tube sock in with it to lay on. If it's real small the others may be pushing it around and not letting it lay next to them, or smothering it by piling on it. Good luck with your little one. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Check for pasty butt.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I had one like that last year. It turned out that whenever I wasn't looking, a bully was picking on him. I think that the bully was also keeping him from eating enough to be comfortable. Try putting the noisy baby in another brooder with one or two of the quietest chicks and see if that helps. It worked for mine.

6. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Make sure that your chick is actually drinking and eating. Just because they have acess to it doesn't mean they're using it.

I hate that distress peep. Freaks me out when the little ones do it just because they lost sight of one of their buddies when they are in the run.

7. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    definitely check for pasty butt... and maybe try dipping the beak in the water... one of our chicks was screaming, even though the container of water was right... we dipper her beak in, she drank, and then she was fine.

you could also try moistening the chick starter...

8. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    thanks everyone Ill bring the brooder out here first and sit and watch them for a while to see if I can see any bullying and try to see if I can see him eat or dink. If that comes up with nothing and he is still crying Ill move him with another chick, or if he is getting picked on or something, I did check for pasty butt , I just didnt spell butt right when I said I checked it and it was fine [​IMG]

9. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    hope you can figure out if there is a problem or not! let us know!

10. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Do you have them under a red or white light? I find they are quieter at night with the red light. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by