advcie please , Update page 4

She's going to need TLC. Separation, moist starter crumbles and electrolytes, sugar or vitamins (no added iron) in her water. You are probably going to have to hand feed her. Act fast, and good luck!
cool.png

If you cannot get her to eat the dry crumbles, you might try hand feeding her with Kaytee Exact hand feeding formula for baby birds. Most regular pet stores carry it in their parrot aisle. It is a powder that you mix with warm water to the consistency that you want and then you can feed it with a needle-less syringe. I have had a great deal of success with using this on birds that start going downhill and are unable to eat. Feed enough to plump up the crop at least two to 3 times a day.

Also a good idea to supplement with one or two drops of Poly-Visol (no iron version) baby vitamins at each feeding. You can find it in the children's vitamin section at any drugstore or walmart.

Chicken “formula": 4 tsp milk, 2 tsp chick starter, 1 tsp yogurt. Mix and microwave for 10 seconds. This is someone else’s recipe that I had to reduce because my chick wasn’t eating at all. It will make kind of a pudding consistency that you can then syringe feed.

Quote:
Try to see if she'll follow a laser light or you can take your finger and quickly move it towards her eyes, she should blink.

Good luck
fl.gif

Do you have any broodies you could give her to? That rubbing motion is her looking to duck under mama hen. Most babies adapt to artificial brooding, but some just won't accept it and keep calling out for mama. I hate to hear them so distressed!

I have her safely ensconed in the best brooder I have atm , she likes it but man does it tickle, now instead of distress peeping she is just mumbleing to me or herself orsomething but its an improvement , I got her to take about 2 drops of sugar water then a couple bites of wet down runny food, she eats funny its almost like she isnt shure what she is doing like if I put it down on the floor and get her intersted in it which is hard to do she jerks her head to her toes I have to postion it just right , under her face then she smacks her face in it , she gets some down the right way but she must be getting some down the wrong way cause she shakes her head and sneezes afterwards. She eats enough to so I can feel it in her crop but not enough to fill her crop and Im not shure if I should push her to eat more when she starts sneezing , this means I have to feed her more often right?

Ok I just realized she hasnt pooped this whole time , how long can they go without pooping?
She dosnt have pasty butt , she has a normal looking clean chickie bum.
wink.png

I will be able to get her to stay in a brooder once she gets stronger right , I mean please dont tell me Ill have to carry around a chick for the next 5 weeks
sad.png

You should be able to. I hate to say it but some people (occasionally myself) tend to give their pets too much control over them. Ex. my dog stares when he wants something and he only stares at me. I think it's because he sees me as the most reactive person. Then next thing you know, I'm running "the list". "Are you hungry? Do you want water? Do you need to go outside? Do you want to play? Do you want to go for a ride?" etcetera, etcetera until I hit the word he wants and he cocks his head or goes running off. My dog knows at least 50 different words and commands. But I digress, yes, when your chick is better she will be able to go back the the others.

Have you let her down to walk around? Action sometimes helps stimulate bowel movements. Like when you walk your dog and sure enough he needs to go or with constipated babies and you have to pinwheel their legs to get things moving along.

Back
Top Bottom