Adventures at the Chicken Asylum...Today's Small Drama

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Nasty raw day here today, not really all that cold, but rainy and windy. The chickens had just been let out of the coop into the pens by my DH. Well, last night, I told him I wanted a better, more secure way to latch the gate at the bottom so some of the awful stuff that has happened to others wont happen here. I look outside and I see Nelda running toward the house. I think maybe DH didnt see her slip past him when he was doing the morning routine. Then, I see three more birds and am puzzled because all gates and door are shut, at least it appears that way from my vantage point up on the deck. We go round up the troops, hoping everyone is accounted for, look under the coop, etc. We close them inside the dry coop till the rain passes then climb back up to the house and use the deck to look over the property for stragglers.
We decide to walk all the way around the wrap porch, where on one side we have the playpen that Zane sometimes is in to look over the kingdom in the sunshine. Seems we have trapped a cute little barred predator in that playpen. One of the Barred Rock girls, Maddie, is looking up at us, chattering away like, "How do I get out of this thing?". It has taken her all of 30 seconds to make it to the house, up the steps, around the deck (probably looking for food) and into the playpen.
Those Barred Rock girls keep me laughing all the time, with their curious natures and friendly dispositions. Needless to say, we will be getting something to latch that gate better near the bottom-they pushed it open only at the bottom, which flexed enough for about 10 of them to squeeze through.
This is the little prisoner, Maddie. You can just see it in her eyes, the mischief:
DCP_1519.jpg

lol.png
Is that what they mean by "stink eye"? Sounds like something mine will try as they get older. Glad everyone is safe and the worst of your "predator" problem has feathers!

She is a total eating machine, that Nelda, LOL. Bet she was the first one out of the gate, too. It cracks me up every time I ask someone leaving here if I can look in their vehicle for Nelda (if the window or tailgate is open). She leaves no stone, or SUV, unturned in her search for goodies.

That Nelda is just too cute. Isn't it so much fun watching them run around free and all the mischief they can get into?

Too cute!
Nelda has a relative here. His name is Thor. Imagine all the fun (and trouble) they could have searching out every last treat.

Back
Top Bottom