Adventures in Country Living...or Let's Put Up the Girls QUICK!

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Well, we'll have to repair the perimeter fence after this little episode. I was near the coops when I heard a rather large dog barking. I'd never heard that booming bark and it sounded way too close for comfort. I walked across the property to the other side of the house, near the power line easement that is part of our property line. We haven't completely finished perimeter fencing the property and have one open corner, so I wanted to be sure that dog wasn't inside the fence. As I get to the area where I can see across the easement to the next wooded property, I hear crashing and I knew it was deer running through the woods. Suddenly this doe bolts out of the woods, across the easement and crashes at full speed into our livestock fence, bounces off and runs down the easement with a huge black dog right on her tail. In fact, I hear what sounds like several deer running through the woods, but they never come back out where I can see them. Since I dont know where she's going to run to escape the dog, we decide to call the girls back from freeranging and put them safely in the pen. A couple sections of fence, probably 25-30 feet or so, are pushed almost to the ground and 3 of the steel posts are bent over with it. I can see where the doe hit the fence, but it held, thank goodness. Hopefully, the dog wont be back here looking for lunch. Well, that was my thrill for the day.
th.gif

Oh geez! I bet your heart was beating a hundred miles an hour. If it's not one thing going on at your place Cyn., it seems like another! I sure wish I could send my boys to your house to help with that fence. I have a 16 year-old that is about ready to drive me crazy that would be perfect for the job!
lol.png
I'm glad to hear that all chickens are safe and accounted for.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom