Adventures in Incubating Shipped Eggs

Ok I will uncross my fingers @Zinjifrah
:lol:
Here is one of my peafowl candled on day 9.:woot

IMG_0894.jpg

Oy. I have a hatchling. Egg #8 just zipped and popped out in about fifteen minutes, only about four hours after its external pip. I couldn't get a good photo - this LG incubator clouds up too much on the little viewing ports.
:woot

I like it when they are a bit early.

I am going to join in with you guys again. Last night I ordered 1 dozen paint silkie eggs. Not only did I find a breeder that will send a whole dozen of the same color but she is in my state and she has good egg reviews on here. I am excited. I am hoping to replace my paint hens I lost to a fox just before my last shipped eggs hatch and possibly the paint cockerel in my avatar picture if he does not straighten up, the last few weeks his hormones are in full swing at 5 months old and he has decided I must die, bites me every chance he gets. I have never had any of my silkies be aggressive. Will break my heart if I have to get rid of him.

I ended up with eight chicks. One of the eggs died prior to absorbing its yolk or internally pipping. Three black and five yellow... Which makes my hatch rate 66%. Not very good, and it indicates that there are problems with my incubation techniques, in addition to shipping issues. However, it does answer my question!
I thought 66% hatch rate with shipped eggs was considered excellent?

Ok, I picked up 18 eggs from a breeder yesterday who lives 4 hours away from me. I know they need to rest. How long? The eggs from 1-12 days old and each marked as such.
Do I turn them when I am resting them?
Do I turn them during the first day days in the incubator?
if so, when and how much?
Is there an age of egg I should not try and incubate?

Its been years since I incubated shipped eggs.

Now another issue has arisen. We are in for a heat wave this weekend until next Tuesday. Temps will be from 95-102. The cabinet incubator is in the cement block garage and unable to be moved to air conditioned environment. There is an apartment over the garage so that will help keep the roof of the garage cool. I can keep heat on the eggs but what do I do if the outside temp reaches above 100? We both work full time and if this happens it will be while we are at work. This is a larger homemade wood incubator with a wafer thermostat, capable of hatching 120 eggs. It has 3 vents on the top I can open to adjust temp.. I have 3 digital hygrometers in it. I need these eggs to hatch. It is my last chance to restart this flock this year. Thanks for your help!
Karen

Ok, I picked up 18 eggs from a breeder yesterday who lives 4 hours away from me. I know they need to rest. How long? The eggs from 1-12 days old and each marked as such.
Do I turn them when I am resting them?
Do I turn them during the first day days in the incubator?
if so, when and how much?
Is there an age of egg I should not try and incubate?

Its been years since I incubated shipped eggs.

Now another issue has arisen. We are in for a heat wave this weekend until next Tuesday. Temps will be from 95-102. The cabinet incubator is in the cement block garage and unable to be moved to air conditioned environment. There is an apartment over the garage so that will help keep the roof of the garage cool. I can keep heat on the eggs but what do I do if the outside temp reaches above 100? We both work full time and if this happens it will be while we are at work. This is a larger homemade wood incubator with a wafer thermostat, capable of hatching 120 eggs. It has 3 vents on the top I can open to adjust temp.. I have 3 digital hygrometers in it. I need these eggs to hatch. It is my last chance to restart this flock this year. Thanks for your help!
Karen
I think if you picked up the eggs and they were not at the mercy of USPS you do not have to follow the special instructions for incubating shipped eggs. Eggs that are shipped are rested, not turned for first few days this is done to give air cells a chance to reattach when damaged during shipping. I would incubate just as I would if I collected eggs from my flock. Did the breeder say how old they were? from what I have read hatching rate can be affected if more than 7-10 days old. I would get them in incubator as soon as the incubator is ready.

Thank you all for your help with incubation advice!! the eggs are dated. They are 2-12 days old. I will cull any eggs over 9 days old.
Karen

Back
Top Bottom