Adventures in Incubating Shipped Eggs

Pics
Hey guys! I’m on 4 (1/2?) days of incubating my duck eggs. 6 are shipped and 1 I threw in from my laying Rouen. When I got the shipped eggs, they had pretty rough air cells, so I let them sit pointy side down over 24 hours. I put them in the incubator Saturday afternoon. Today I couldn’t help it, I had to candle them. I saw some great spider veining on a few! I also saw a weird spot on one, and I’m not sure if it’s a blood ring or not. Any advice? This is my first time incubating and I’m so nervous :barnie

DB3A6AB3-B181-44D6-BA50-908B84B961B6.jpeg

Hey guys! I’m on 4 (1/2?) days of incubating my duck eggs. 6 are shipped and 1 I threw in from my laying Rouen. When I got the shipped eggs, they had pretty rough air cells, so I let them sit pointy side down over 24 hours. I put them in the incubator Saturday afternoon. Today I couldn’t help it, I had to candle them. I saw some great spider veining on a few! I also saw a weird spot on one, and I’m not sure if it’s a blood ring or not. Any advice? This is my first time incubating and I’m so nervous :barnie

View attachment 1391673
Hi, @Jayellebee ! That's wonderful that you are seeing spider veining this early. As far as the egg in the pic goes, I would advise that you leave it alone and check it again in another few days. It may very well be the beginning of a blood ring, indicating an early quitter, but even if it is, it won't harm the hatch by leaving it for a little while to be sure.

This is still very, very early. I think every egg deserves a chance. You can always pull it after Day 10 if it's not looking good.

Letting your shipped eggs rest big end up was a good move, as you can see by all the little duckies that are starting for you. :)

Good luck with your hatch!

-Cerise

Hi, @Jayellebee ! That's wonderful that you are seeing spider veining this early. As far as the egg in the pic goes, I would advise that you leave it alone and check it again in another few days. It may very well be the beginning of a blood ring, indicating an early quitter, but even if it is, it won't harm the hatch by leaving it for a little while to be sure.

This is still very, very early. I think every egg deserves a chance. You can always pull it after Day 10 if it's not looking good.

Letting your shipped eggs rest big end up was a good move, as you can see by all the little duckies that are starting for you. :)

Good luck with your hatch!

-Cerise

x2!

Awesome....look.at that baby go in there! Happy hatching!
Day 8, I believe.

Sadly, I culled one I thought for sure was dead. It had two intense blood rings that actually swirled around the egg in a haze. I opened it to see what developed, if anything, and there was a live chick. Heart beating. :(

Ugh. Now I feel terrible. It was so cute. :(

Back
Top Bottom