Adventures in Incubating Shipped Eggs

Pics
I'm getting the feeling Nugget (egg 6 baby) is a boy. It's a lot more.....well....naughty than egg 5 baby lol. It freaked out and threw itself up onto my shoulder while I was holding it. Cuddled so sweetly and peeped stories into my ear......or so I thought. Turns out, it was practicing its Seamanship skills (a gosling after my own heart, since I was in the Navy lol).

It tied knots with my hair.

Urgh, the results of this hatch:
2 live chicks
4 dead in shell
1 bad egg - it didn't explode in incubator but when I was doing eggtopsy I stupidly made a gentle pip without doing it in a plastic bag. The smell will stay in my nose forever X___X;;;

Urgh, the results of this hatch:
2 live chicks
4 dead in shell
1 bad egg - it didn't explode in incubator but when I was doing eggtopsy I stupidly made a gentle pip without doing it in a plastic bag. The smell will stay in my nose forever X___X;;;
At least you got two. Shipped eggs are tough.

Still waiting on my pipped orpington, and starting to wonder if that one's going to make it now.

At least you got two. Shipped eggs are tough.

Still waiting on my pipped orpington, and starting to wonder if that one's going to make it now.
Yeah I'm thankful I got 2. I'd have to carry the chick around with me if it was the only hatch haha.

The exploding bad egg really does scare me away from shipped quail eggs. I'm going to try hatching chicken grocery store eggs next.

Does the chick show any reaction if you shine a flashlight at it? Sometimes the light gets it to move a bit.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm thankful I got 2. I'd have to carry the chick around with me if it was the only hatch haha.

The exploding bad egg really does scare me away from shipped quail eggs. I'm going to try hatching chicken grocery store eggs next.

Does the chick show any reaction if you shine a flashlight at it? Sometimes the light gets it to move a bit.
I tried the flashlight, tapping the bator and talking to it. I don't know how long it's been pipped for. It was not pipped at 8 p.m. last night, it was pipped at 5:30 this morning.

I tried the flashlight, tapping the bator and talking to it. I don't know how long it's been pipped for. It was not pipped at 8 p.m. last night, it was pipped at 5:30 this morning.
I know the feeling. I have two that pipped at 7am this morning, and have done nothing despite all my tapping and talking and lights and singing. They don't care if I'm giving them a Broadway show. They'll zip when they're ready. 24 hours from pip to zip is not unheard of.

I think I've lost Cecelia. She never made that external pip, and now there is no sound, no movement on candling. I guess I'll do the float test as a last check, but I don't expect anything. It was not a successful lot of eggs from that seller. Ten of twelve were early quitters.

However, the very last Legbar-Olandsk cross, Hanna, is now zipping and cheeping! I sure hope it's a hen. UPDATE: That chick zipped so fast! It's very blond and supposedly can be sexed at birth, so I'll wait and see when it dries off.

Last edited:
Appenzeller Spitzhaubens and Silver Sebrights IMG_6139.JPG IMG_6144.JPG

Back
Top Bottom