Advice and help please

Animal-lady7

Chirping
Apr 11, 2021
Hi there one of my ducks has had a Brocken leg for a while, he has been vet checked snd we don’t believe he is in any pain.
though, lately I have noticed that he is struggling more and more to get around every day and can only go in circles now. He keeps getting the broken leg stuck in his wing causing his leg to bend up.:hit
I don’t know wat to do!!! I have been trying some hydrotherapy to stop the bending of the leg and he seemed to enjoy that, I was thinking about trimming the wing feathers to prevent the leg from bending but I have never done it before.
I thiught I should get a second opinion before making a decision. I don’t want to have to put him to sleep if there is something I can do for him. Please help!!
Thanks Maddy :hmm

Hydrotherapy. That’s water right? I think that is a great idea for ducks! If u can I would leave him in the tub all the time with a feeder . That would keep the weight off the broken leg. Clipping wings should be good for getting caught.

:welcome

I can’t really picture what you are trying to say? Do you have pictures? A video would be even more helpful. To add a video, you have to post to YouTube, Vimeo, or similar platform & then link to it.

Also, I‘m not sure what part of the world you are in... but for most of us in the US, it’s the middle of the night... so posting two times to ask the same question 20 minutes apart, isn’t necessary. You’ll get more answers in a few hours as more people wake up... I promise.

I know it’s hard, but be patient. If you have a dog crate, you can try putting your duck in there to limit his movement, and he won’t try to walk on his leg? Have you tried calling or going back to the vet for advice?

Please add your location to your profile as outlined below... it will help people help
you.

D13D90A4-FFEC-4F9A-8B41-A1BC1D76212D.jpeg

Last edited:
I would not keep the duck in water continually, But giving warm baths where he can float and get pressure off his leg can help. And it will help his muscle s stay strong. As for clipping his wing yes you can find many pics online for clipping. And I would keep him up where he isn't having to use the leg to walk much or it may never heal right. Where is the break at? Making a sling using a towel may also be an option cutting holes for the legs to fit through and one for the poop to fall through then suspend it over a tote fastened it good, this will keep him immobile most of the time except when he is in the tub for his therapy. Place food and water so he can eat and drink when he wants. @casportpony is a good one on breaks hopefully she'll see this tag.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom