Advice desperately needed - Hatching Problem

Thanks! I think I knew it was Pennsylvania, but to be honest, I don't know very much about American geography and even less about the acronyms you use for your states! But that's fine, you probably don't know that stuff about Australia.

Wow, TSC sounds like a very useful shop to have. Here, most country towns have a Grain and Fodder shop, which sells everything from seeds, fences, brooms, axes, and gumboots, to smaller livestock (chickens, rabbits, cats, chickens, quails, budgies, chickens) and feed. But they're not a chain of shops and there's no guarantee than any given town will have a good Grain and Fodder shop - larger towns have better ones, smaller towns have worse ones, but that's not always so, and I travel a bit to get to a good G&F shop.

I should consider getting an emu... just joking, we don't have the space for it! Well, we have an acre but there are fences everywhere so that's not so good... but I need protection for my chooks, because the foxes keep getting them (none yet this year, though). I've been told a goose will do the job. Is this true?

At least emus don't grow as big as elephants! I just thought, was he told it's fertile? Because sometimes big eggs like that are hollowed out or just kept, because they look so cool, and put on display. It's possible that it's not meant to hatch.

Yes, out of three quail chicks, they're all striped, although one is less so than the others, more blurred. They're Japanese quail, and most pictures I've seen of Japanese quail are yellow and black striped, too. Quail are amazing! They grow so fast! The eggs are so tiny and the chicks are just adorable when the first hatch. Mine are a week old today and already have quite well-developed wing feathers! They must have at least tripled in size, too.

To be honest, with an emu, I'd be a little worried about whether it would knock things down... emus have very strong legs. Tiny wings, strange shape, but enormous strength in their legs. Have you ever heard the song 'Old Man Emu'. If you haven't, I reccomend you look up the words or listen to it. It's pretty funny but describes an emu pretty well I think. Emus can outrun kangaroos, which is pretty amazing given that kangaroos can keep up with a car most of the time.

from Rachel.

Back
Top Bottom