Advice for a gluten free diet? New queston post #27

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease yesterday. I just started steroids because I am having a flare-up.
The doctor said absolutely no dairy products and to start a gluten free diet.
I'm already drinking almond milk in place of cows milk and it's not bad, but not something to write home about. I was discouraged when told no cheese. I love cheese!
I was also told I have to follow a gluten-free diet. Just from some quick research and looking at labels in my pantry and frig. that looks like it's going to be next to impossible. Everything in the world contains gluten, or so it seems.
Advice? Do you have a link to webpages of information that you have found to be especially helpful?
TIA
smile.png

Last edited:
Rice milk and rice products are better tasting. Get rice flour. I have a friend with celiac and 2 of her children have it as well. hopefully i can help you out with some things she has done. I'll contact her and get some more info for you.
hugs.gif
It is not as bad as it seems, we'll help you through it!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

ETA: Looks as though my dear friend has been at the ER all night and has now gone to bed...may take me some time, but I'm POSITIVE she knows ALL about gluten free! I think she shops here sometimes. http://www.glutenfree.com/index.cfm Gluten free can be expensive, but she knows all the best places to buy. This will give you an idea of products. Gluten is simply wheat gum, so exclude wheat products for starters.

Last edited:
Coconut milk and coconut cream are tasty. Just make sure you get stuff without added sugar.

I don't eat wheat but use almond meal instead.

Ummm gritty...you can have cheese hun. There are 'real' cheeses that are gluten free. you just have to learn to check the labels and know which kinds are gluten free.

ETA: oops Velveeta is NOT gluten free...but here is a list of gluten free dairy I found that you CAN have!

DAIRY PRODUCTS
Alpine Lace cheese: all except fat- free spreads

Alouette all potted cheese

Athenos: all block cheese

Bel/ Kaukauna: Cold pack Cheese cups, logs, balls in sharp, extra sharp cheddar,
smoky cheddar, port wine, swiss almond regular, lite

Bel Laughing Cow products: cheezbits, Babybel, Bonbel, Gouda, Edam, Wedges
Blue Bunny: reg, lite sour cream; YOGURT: all Lite 85, all regular except banana
cream pie, lemon berry, those with crispy rice

Boar’s Head: American yellow & white, blue chees, Vermont cheddar, mozzarella,
Gold Label Swiss, Monterey Jack & with jalapenos, Gouda, Edam

Borden (800.426.7336) all products ; Egg Nog in a Can

Breakstone Cottage Cheese, regular only; sour cream- regular only

Cabot's Cheese (www. cabotcheese. com) All

Cabot's Creamery Dairy Products (all products - the modified food starch is corn),
including Cottage Cheese (found at Sam's Club, Wal- Mart, Cub Foods, and Costco)
Colombo Yogurt and Gogurt (except those containing crunchy granola or graham
crackers)

Cracker Barrel Natural Cheddar extra sharp, sharp, medium, mild, swiss, colby,
mozzarella, parmesan, romano, montery jack

Crystal Farms All of their Natural Cheeses, Shredded Cheddar, Colby, Mozzarella,
Monterey Jack, Marble Jack, Pepper Jack, Swiss, Muenster, Havarti, Farmer
cheeses, Cream Cheese, and Ricotta Cheese.

Darigold Yogurt; Cottage Cheese; Liquid Milk; Sour Cream; Butter

Frigo (Saputo) (800.824.3373) (www. saputo. com)
Blue Cheese; Cheddar Shred; Feta; Gorgonzola; Grated Parmesan; Grated Romano;
Mozzarella Chunks; Mozzarella Shred; Parmesan Shred; Parmesan Wedges; Pizza
Shred; Provolone Shred; Provolone Slices; Ricotta (all types); Romano Shred;
Romano Wedges; String Cheese; Taco Shred

Han’s Cheddar and Port Wine Spread, Swiss Almond Spread

Healthy Choice Cheeses, all varieties

Hillshire Farms Double Cheese Log; Smokey Cheddar Cheese Log

Hormel Add Ons Cheese: Genoa, Colby, Monterey Jack, Mozzerella, Swiss,
Cheddar

Hyvee: all block and sliced cheese and smooth& cheesy, american cheese food, party cheese; SHREDDED 4 cheese italian, colby jack, mild/ sharp cheddar, mozzerella, mex cheese blend, parmesan, pizza, taco, grated parmesan; YOGURT: all except apple granola, yogurt to go

Jewel (920.437.7601) Natural and processed cheeses, including processed american,
shredded cheese, and processed cheese food

Kraft, Cracker Barrel, Polly- O, Athenos: Brick Type cheddar, blue, feta, Swiss,
Colby, mozzarella, ricotta, parmesan, romano, Monterey Jack, processed cheese –
Kraft singles and Velveeta

Kemps sour cream; YOGURT: all except gluten mix- ins such as granola, Yo- Stix
Land O Lakes (800- 328- 4155) ( www. landolakes. com) All natural products and
processed cheese, yogurt

Meijer Cream Cheese; Sour Cream; Shredded Cheddar; Shredded Mozzerella

Mid- America Farms (now Dairy Farmers of America) cheeses (even American
Cheese are gluten-free (available at Sam's Club)

Philadelphia Cream Cheese— unflavored

Rondele Gourmet Cheese Spreads: All varieties

SAFEWAY Grated Parmesan Cheese (3, 8 & 16oz.)

SAFEWAY Cheese Spread, Aerosol (American, Cheddar and Sharp)

Sargento (www. sargento. com) All Natural Cheeses (EXCEPT Shredded Imitation
Mozzarella Cheese; Shredded Taco Cheese; Shredded Nacho & Taco Cheese; or our
6 Cheese Zesty Mexican Recipe Blend), all Mootown Snackers except pretzel,
cookie, cracker

Schuslberg cheese

Snackwells yogurt: all

Stella Asiago; Blue Cheese; Feta; Fontinella; Gorgonzola; Grated Parmesan; Grated
Romano; Italian Sharp; Kasseri; Mozzarella; Parmesan Wedges; Provolone; Quattro
Formaggi; Romano Shred; Romano Wedges

Tillamook cheese, yogurt, butter, and sour cream products

Trader Joe’s Boursin Cheese
Trader Joe’s Cheese Blocks & Wedges (except Blue Cheese)
Trader Joe’s Shredded Cheese, Mozzarella, Parmesan, and Jarlsberg
Trader Joe’s Whipped Cream Cheese, Regular and Lite
Trader Joe’s Yogurt: All flavors except Vanilla and Vanana

Yoplait Yogurt (General Mills) (800.967.5248) All products (except those
containing crunchy granola or graham crackers)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about Crohns. I have Ulcerative colitis and I have been GF for 2 years. I use buckwheat, rice and GF oats. Quinoa is GF also but for some reason my body does not like it. With IBD even good foods for most people are very bad for us. To get your flare under control make sure all your veggies are cooked, cut back on the refined carbs, drink plenty of water (make sure it is distilled or spring), eggs and chicken are great. No refined sugar or artificial sweetners. There is a many other things that can help, if you want more info let me know.

Here are some great IBD recourses that are most helpful and will help you manage your Crohns much better. I have been able to reduce my meds and reduce all my health problems with diet and lifestyle changes. I would have killed for someone to tell me this info back when I was first told I had Colitis.

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showforum=24
http://www.listen2yourgut.com/
http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/
http://www.drdahlman.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Restoring-Your-Digestive-Health-Transfom/dp/0758202822
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

I hope you feel better soon, if you have any questions please let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks y'all for such a wealth of information.
Very few of those products are available around here - we have a walmart and a new grocery store (I had high hopes of it, but its really no better than the walmart) - so it looks like we'll be making trips to the city once a month or so to stock up.
Patman, curious about the "No refined sugar or artificial sweetners".
I use only a moderate amount of sugar, for coffee in the morning and on some cereals. What about stevia (truvia)? We have some in the house. I like it for those rare occasions when I want my iced tea sweetened. Gave up sweet tea years ago.
Kinda relieved to have a diagnosis after several years of random tests and this past year of intensive testing.
Thanks again.
smile.png

Quote:
Some theories for IBD causes or comlications is that your bacteria flora in the Digestive system is all out of wack which is part of your immune system. Many people with IBD have too many non benifical bacteria/yeast/fungus compared to the benifical bacteria. Some of the non benifical microbes feast on sugar. By cutting off their food supply you start reblancing your bacteria flora. Read the link to Breaking the vicious cycle. Artifical sweetners like Splenda have shown to reduce the benifical bacteria by 50%. Artifical sweetners are the worst. I use Stevia most of the time and use honey when I'm in full remission.

For me my bacteria flora was all screwed up, I been correcting it with diet and supplements. I aslo found I out that I have issues with heavy metals, mostly mercury and Arsenic. I found the arsenic was coming from my home water supply and the mercury was from my dental fillings. If you want to read about the things I have done to improve my health you can read about it here. http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=94551

On the sister site www.sufficientself.com several of the members are gluten and dairy free, there are several posts on the subject, may help you get started. A fantastic magazine is www.livingwithout.com It has a lot of fantastic recipes and information especially when starting out. You are going to find hidden gluten in many foods, getting back to basics meat, veggies, and fruit and making sure you have eliminated trigger foods for your Crohns, you will be feeling better, a lot better in no time
big_smile.png
If you have further questions I will be happy to answer any you may have!

Sarahfair Gluten is a protein found in Wheat, barley and rye, it is in just about everything we eat, especially processed foods.

Many major supermarkets now have a gluten free section in the health food section. I had a visitor with Ciliac disease (ie they cannot tolerate gluten at all) and did not have any trouble finding items to cook with while he was here. Even found crackers so he could enjoy cheese and crackers with us.

Also, at the health food stores and local butchers, etc there are often selections that are gluten free, just ask the owners. We don't live in an urban area and yet can find many items.

Pamelas makes a great gluten free brownie mix! No need to give up the good stuff!!!

I have a son with food allergies, so I know all about reading the labels. Forgot yesterday and bought bread with his allergen- fortunately he reads the labels too and caught it! Phew!

Other grain flours are great to experiment with (ie those without gluten). I made a gluten free cobbler that was actually excellent. Use oatmeal and rice flour, instead of wheat flour.

Now you have to be careful with oatmeal. If it is processed where wheat is processed it may contain a small amount of gluten.

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom