advice for buying breeding stock at shows

Perhaps black red doesnt mean to be rude I think I understand whats meant,I have my birds that I like to keep and I sell the eggs but the breeds I am serious about I very rarely sell any eggs or chicks I like to bring them on myself to make sure I can keep the best birds to improve my stock I am always frightened of letting that special one get away,thats not to say I wouldnt give or sell any started good birds.

I won't argue that there are many breeders who will not sell chicks or eggs; that IS the case. But to say that anyone who does is not a serious breeder or cannot possibly have quality birds goes way too far. I don't sell chicks or eggs, but I may occasionally give chicks away to a friend, neighbor or fellow breeder or even sell lessor quality ones to the feed store. I have given eggs to friends, and once to a poultry show auction (with absolutely NO guarantee other than it came from one of my birds and was laid at the show).

blackred seems to be trying to pick a fight, which is against forum rules.

Quote:
Of course you do, you are in the egg selling business

And where do you get that idea?

I assume you are talking to me. Which idea? that she is in the egg selling business or that quality breeders rarely sell eggs or chicks?

I guess I should describe what I mean by a "Quality Breeder". Since we are discussing Exhibition Poultry and assuming you are wanting to by birds that will produce winners.

I would describe a Quality Breeder as someone who consistently wins at a good size show, in fast company, and the show is sanctioned by the ABA and APA. Someone who has been breeding for a number of years and that is always in contention for Champion. Someone who has paid their dues and learned from the old masters. More often than not this person is a Master Breeder of the APA or ABA, but I do know some Master Breeders who are just great conditioners and exhibitors and not that great of breeders.

If it makes someone feel better about themselves to call me "Rude and Ignorant" so be it. But I have been neither.

Bob

Quote:
How in the world can you say that? I have gone out of my way to stay away from anything remotely like that.

I have stated my opinion and it was others that called me names and are trying to pick a fight.

I have tried to be nothing but helpful but I will no longer reply to this thread.

Bob

Quote:
How in the world can you say that? I have gone out of my way to stay away from anything remotely like that.

I have stated my opinion and it was others that called me names and are trying to pick a fight.

I have tried to be nothing but helpful but I will no longer reply to this thread.

Bob

First of all, I did not call you names. I called your statement that quality breeders never sell chicks or eggs ignorant and rude, never called you that.

I don't think that if a breeder sells eggs or chicks that they are automatically not good quality. Where did you come up with this idea? There are many exceptions to that also. I you are familiar with silkies, do you know Bobbi Porto? She sells everything and is a great breeder and so is Amy Piehl, Cjexotics, and sunshine silkies. Yes many good breeders don't sell eggs and chicks but many do sell chicks and eggs so what does quality have to do with any of it?

Anyways, I have bought 24 chicks and I am expecting a good pair or trio to start with. I don't really know the best way to go but you can buy a bunch of chicks, a couple of started birds, or a few adults. It really comes down to how much money and time you want to put in.

Bob is being honest, not rude. There is a difference. I appreciate candor. Breeders who show are reluctant to sell eggs or chicks because the egg or chick you sell could be your next champion. There are exceptions, but not many.

So back to original topic,

If I breed 100s of birds only to keep 3-4 what do I do with the remaining 76+ lol.

Also, I'm NOT looking to make $ on this. I get the animal/livestock industry. I get shows, breeding, keeping your best, etc. I don't get the ins and outs of chicken breeders/shows/how things work. I just love Silver Penciled, Silver Laced and Columbian Wyandottes, I LOVE chickens, and I'd like to have the highest quality I can afford to have! And I love breeding.

I know in horses you can come in, want to get a good start, get in with the wrong people and waste thousands and have nothing to show for it because they didn't sit back and do their homework and didn't learn how to spot BS when they heard or saw it. So I'm trying to educate myself and avoid the pitfalls. You all have been very helpful so far!!!

You have to sell the extrasnleft over which is sometimes really hard! I know what you mean with horses. We have wasted thousands on horses by getting sucked in by good salesmen.

Back
Top Bottom