Advice for first timers? Butchering

CowgirlPenny

Songster
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
South East TN
Today is the day. Any advice for first time newbies? I have an emotional attachment to him, so I'm a little sad but he's had a wonderful life here and will nourish our family. We don't have a plucker so we are doing the slit throat, drain, hot water, remove feathers way. Wish us luck. I'm sure its a learning experience!

I was there a year and a half ago. Just bear in mind it will take MUCH longer as a beginner. It took 3 of us all day with out first batch. We had 10 roos (who in their right mind orders a straight run as their first chicks?!) and it was quite a proccess. Just remember he had a better life with you than he would otherwise have had.

We just finished. I have to say, it went much better than I thought it would. I cut into the meat just a tad here and there skinning him but overall it went well. He died quickly and peacefully, he barely flopped. The hardest part I think was the skin removal. Is there a trick to this?

Not sure why you removed the skin? most just pluck and remove the insides then rest in fridge for 1 day and freeze or cook. But if you need to remove the skin you don't even have to pluck. Simply make a small opening in the skin and peel off by hand.

Quote:
I read you have to singe those little feathers off and I had nothing to singe them with, so I was under the impression that if that's the case....its just easier to skin them? We plucked first just because it seemed just easier to not have all the feathers everywhere when we were still unsure how to go about the cutting.
lol.png
He was much easier to work with feather-less.

Back
Top Bottom