Not meat birds but culled

aldanfac

Songster
Apr 16, 2023
Maryland, USA
Hi so I had the nerve wracking experience of culling some young roosters for the first time. I am a 21 year old girl for reference so this was very hard on all aspects. I think I did good but I cried a lot it was very hard and it was so sad to do especially because I am the sole caretaker it just hurt me but I really wanted to learn and no one was going to teach me so I did it. My questions are with the process, I think I messed up blanching but not too bad. Some of the feathers tips are kind of stuck in the meat and I popped some out but there are a good amount left, is this ok to still eat it this way? I can always remove the skin either way but I am just curious if it’s bad or not. The problem is that I didn’t blanch them long or hot enough correct? I used a fire outside and a large pot, the fire kept the water at a good 150 temp and I blanched them for 40 seconds. Here’s some photos of what they look like, it took 10 seconds to remove majority of the feathers but about 40 minutes of plucking to try to get the stubborn ones out. Second random question is it bad if the small green sac (I assume gall bladder) pops on the liver? My dad loves chicken liver so I saved them for him but one part I accidentally popped that little organ and green juice went on it. I discarded it just because I wasn’t sure enough but I would like to know for the future. Any advice and tips as well is appreciated, I want to live as sustainably as I can myself so the more advice the better. This was my first slaughter ever but I do hunt and this was not the same feelings, it’s definitely a hard reality
5FA81A2B-6F72-476D-96E9-5C778EF5874F.jpeg
8EDDE22B-86E2-4978-9C6D-1D5C81AC56B5.jpeg
906BE260-5A91-43F1-A35E-C3D5AF10D2C8.jpeg

Good job for the first time 👍
I scald 140 to 155 f water with a couple drops of dish soap. Soap helps get through the oil on the feathers . I dunk and swish around until the wing feathers pull out easily. Usually takes about a minute or less.
Like above said can pull out with pliers those stubborn feathers.
Make sure to rest on ice or refrigerator until rigor mortis has passed. Usually a day or three.
How old are they? Cooking method depends on age. Older birds need slow, moist and low temperature. Crock pot or pressure cooker works.
Screenshot_20230620-171433.png

The green bile sack has bitter taste if it splashes on meat. Usually it can be rinsed off

you did very well for your first try! no one gets it perfect. try and get those feathers out, try a some pliers if need be or remove the skins if you want. as for the gallbladder issue make sure you rinse it the best you can. it may make the meat taste bitter though
Thank you! That’s very smart I was really close to just grabbing eye brow tweasers lol

Good job for the first time 👍
I scald 140 to 155 f water with a couple drops of dish soap. Soap helps get through the oil on the feathers . I dunk and swish around until the wing feathers pull out easily. Usually takes about a minute or less.
Like above said can pull out with pliers those stubborn feathers.
Make sure to rest on ice or refrigerator until rigor mortis has passed. Usually a day or three.
How old are they? Cooking method depends on age. Older birds need slow, moist and low temperature. Crock pot or pressure cooker works.
View attachment 3568120

The green bile sack has bitter taste if it splashes on meat. Usually it can be rinsed off
Thank you so much! They were both 13 weeks old, I was honestly going to try to wait a little longer but they started crowing and becoming very aggressive to the other chickens so it was time to go. What do you recommend the best way to cook them is? I was going to quarter them up after chilling for a few days but is it better to just cook the bird whole?

Thank you so much! They were both 13 weeks old, I was honestly going to try to wait a little longer but they started crowing and becoming very aggressive to the other chickens so it was time to go. What do you recommend the best way to cook them is? I was going to quarter them up after chilling for a few days but is it better to just cook the bird whole?
i like mine in the crock pot with some gray. whole bird or in quarters

At that age you can cook them almost any way you want. If you want to fry or pressure cook, I would part them out. I roast a lot whole .

Back
Top Bottom