Advice for new duck pond plz

After watching my ducks muck up a good sized baby pool in under an hour, i refused to dig out the pond i dreamed of. We just have a simple PVC framed kids pool that takes minutes to dump, hose off, and refill. Its a foot deep and 4x4. There is a stairway of pavers and cinder blocks on the outside perimeter for preening. I dont have the patience nor time for anything any more elaborate. They spend half their day just floating and that is all i care about.

Guys i bought a 16x16 ft liner. Paid some young kid to dig the hole stalled out in the hard tennessee dirt & roots. I called an old neighbor down with industrial tiller attachment on his big tractor and he pulverized the dirt roots and all. Wouldnt you know it as he finished the rain began. 7 straight days of rain and 1 heck of a mud pit. I suspended the job until the ground drys.

I bought the fencing and top bird netting today and when this project is done the ducks will have their own pen 20x30 with 12x12x24" pond & fountain. Even got a sump pump to pump the poop water to the garden thats always parched in the southern heat.

Today bought an x-large igloo dog house for the 4 ducks. Its coming together just a rain delay. I will update when we get er done
12x12x2 would use the entire liner in the hole. how will you keep the sides from falling in? You might want to consider 10x10x2.

Guys i bought a 16x16 ft liner. Paid some young kid to dig the hole stalled out in the hard tennessee dirt & roots. I called an old neighbor down with industrial tiller attachment on his big tractor and he pulverized the dirt roots and all. Wouldnt you know it as he finished the rain began. 7 straight days of rain and 1 heck of a mud pit. I suspended the job until the ground drys.

I bought the fencing and top bird netting today and when this project is done the ducks will have their own pen 20x30 with 12x12x24" pond & fountain. Even got a sump pump to pump the poop water to the garden thats always parched in the southern heat.

Today bought an x-large igloo dog house for the 4 ducks. Its coming together just a rain delay. I will update when we get er done
Where did you get your liner and how many MIL thick is it. I'm thinking about doing the same thing but the Youtube video I watched didn't give any information about the liner thickness, just the size. Thanks!

Where did you get your liner and how many MIL thick is it. I'm thinking about doing the same thing but the Youtube video I watched didn't give any information about the liner thickness, just the size. Thanks!
I suggest an EPDM liner over the cheap ones you get at hardware store chains. You may have to order it. You could try to get EPDM rubber roofing from a roofing supply also. It's the same material.

I got the liner from walmart online. Not sure of its thickness. The dog house just got delivered outside lol

I think i mentioned already here I also got a sump pump to pump the water into the garden. Its hot here & garden will appreciate it in the summer. Will keep you posted on project. Digging came to a standstill with monsoon rain. In a couple days will get back at it.

Wondering if these ducks can start spending the night out side in their new house so my wife quits yelling at me how they made a mess
20200323_154434.jpg
20200323_154353.jpg

I got the liner from walmart online. Not sure of its thickness. The dog house just got delivered outside lol

I think i mentioned already here I also got a sump pump to pump the water into the garden. Its hot here & garden will appreciate it in the summer. Will keep you posted on project. Digging came to a standstill with monsoon rain. In a couple days will get back at it.

Wondering if these ducks can start spending the night out side in their new house so my wife quits yelling at me how they made a mess
View attachment 2060240View attachment 2060238
The ducks look like they are feathering. If they still have down feathers, keep them dry and warm. Once they are fully feathered out they can go outside.
What's your weather like? I would think TN is warm enough to let them outside. They'll need to be weened off the heat lamp first though or you'll have to provide a heat source outside.

We have 1 or 2 nights left with temps in the 40's . it was 78 the other day. I only tuened the heat lamp on for the photo they are off the lamp.
I'd say let them out then once the temps stay 50+F. It sounds like that day is coming very soon for you. Give them a deep layer of straw or pine shavings in the igloo if that's their duck house. The deep layer of bedding will provide insulation they can dig down into if they get a chill at night.

Back
Top Bottom