ADVICE FOR PARALYZED HEN!

vixchix

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Illinois
Someone dumped off a most unfortunate hen last week. I've been trying to nurse her back to health--she was extremely malnourished and dehydrated. Although she is bouncing back quite nicely in most ways, she still can not move her toes AT ALL! It's as if they have died. I am aware that malnourishment can cause paralysis--Are there other diseases that can cause this? I'm just not sure how long to hang in there with this little sweetie. I don't want to give up. Any advice?

i'm not surewhat diseases can cause this. i'll have to read my paper again. hope you can make her get better soon!

BTW, welcome to BYC! you'll love it here.
hugs.gif

* What kind of injuries does she have? Could the toes be frostbitten?? Do they feel cold? Is she drinking on her own?? If she's sitting on her butt with her feet out in front, that's attributed to a serious calcium deficiency in the blood. Hydrate with electrolyes and add a crushed TUMS to her food.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding! Her injuries were mostly around her vent and on her legs, but they're healing up nicely. I cleaned, bandaged, and used neosporin. She sits with one foot in front--or in a semi-natural position. Her right leg is out behind her and seems pretty much useless. Her appetite and thirst is tremendous! She's eating and drinking on her own. She struggles to stand and can do so for short periods. She's precious!0

* Could be some nerve damage. Have you felt her legs up to the body to check for injuries? How long ago did you find her? Do you have other chickens-- if so you should keep this hen quarantined away from them for sometime, at least several weeks. .

I'd have to agree with jdypat...at what point does breathing, eating and drinking consititute "living".
BUT..if this is the only life she's lived then I guess it's what she used to.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do and try!

Both of her feet are black and immovable. When I massage them, or attempt to move them, she's not bothered by it. There seems to be some kind of black coating over the joint above the feet. I've thought about soaking them in warm water.

I'm the last person who would know what could be wrong with your new baby, but I just wanted to say, I think you're a wonderful person for caring so much about this hen. I'm super glad to hear she was dumped in such a loving enviroment!!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom