Cannon Coop

In the Brooder
May 12, 2022
Hello Everyone!

My flock is about 6-7 weeks old now. I have introduced them outside to their permanent home. Everything seems to be going good so far, except a couple of concerns.

They will not go inside the coop by themselves at night. I know its clean, so possbile bugs, pest, etc. are not an issue. They can get down just fine, and should be able to climb up it just fine too. Any ideas? I put their food and water inside to coop today and have left them on the inside. I read locking them up for a couple of days could help. Also getting a light to put inside because I heard that would help too.

Second thing, My Phoenix is sneezing. I think its fine, as I read it could be adjusting to outside. No other health concerns and seems just fine, but sneezes. Shold I be concerned? It seems to happen in waves, because there are sometimes I have not even heard it sneeze.

Lastly, I will post a video link of this. My Americauna has an interesting noise. I think its just the noise it makes, but I want to be sure as no other chicks make it. Also, the video will show all the chicks. I am pretty sure I have a roo, as I hear something that sounds like a crow, but I have yet to pinpoint which one it is. I think its either the Phoenix, or the Red Pyle OEGB. IF you can tell from the video, please let me know if you think either of them might be a roo.

Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• D0ADC619-E2FA-4C07-A2AD-371C37D43ADD.jpeg
    D0ADC619-E2FA-4C07-A2AD-371C37D43ADD.jpeg
    482.2 KB · Views: 7
  • E42A5C61-DB2F-4F08-BC8D-08BAF428B5CC.jpeg
    E42A5C61-DB2F-4F08-BC8D-08BAF428B5CC.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 3
They will not go inside the coop by themselves at night. I know its clean, so possbile bugs, pest, etc. are not an issue. They can get down just fine, and should be able to climb up it just fine too. Any ideas? I put their food and water inside to coop today and have left them on the inside. I read locking them up for a couple of days could help. Also getting a light to put inside because I heard that would help too.
They are babies, and they need to learn what to do :) When I have new chicks, I usually place them one by one in the coop around dusk. Pretty soon they know where to go! My fastest learns did it themselves on the 4th night. :D
Second thing, My Phoenix is sneezing. I think its fine, as I read it could be adjusting to outside. No other health concerns and seems just fine, but sneezes. Shold I be concerned? It seems to happen in waves, because there are sometimes I have not even heard it sneeze.
Sorry, I'm not knowledgeable in this area.
Lastly, I will post a video link of this. My Americauna has an interesting noise. I think its just the noise it makes, but I want to be sure as no other chicks make it. Also, the video will show all the chicks. I am pretty sure I have a roo, as I hear something that sounds like a crow, but I have yet to pinpoint which one it is. I think its either the Phoenix, or the Red Pyle OEGB. IF you can tell from the video, please let me know if you think either of them might be a roo.

Thanks for all your help!

The white(ish) chick is a cockerel. (Young Rooster)

Photos of your coop inside and out would really help assess any issues. In the meantime:

They will not go inside the coop by themselves at night. I know its clean, so possbile bugs, pest, etc. are not an issue. They can get down just fine, and should be able to climb up it just fine too.
Have they actually walked back up into the coop during the day to prove they know how? Going down is easy, up might not be. Are you using a ramp and if so, how steep is the angle?
I read locking them up for a couple of days could help. Also getting a light to put inside because I heard that would help too.
Locking them in can help, just make sure the temperature inside the coop doesn't get too hot during the day, and that it's well ventilated and well lit.

Is there not enough natural lighting inside at dusk when they should be going in?

Back
Top Bottom