Advice/help letting my hen brood!

chickendude

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Dutchess County NY
I have a RIR hen that is very broody. After taking eggs from her for a week straight I decided to let her hatch some out. She is in a run with 5 other RIR hens and our silver laced polish roo. Does she need any special attention. She never leaves the nest to eat and drink, at least not that I have seen. I will date the eggs so to keep track of freshly laid eggs. Also if the hatch is successful should I separate the hen and her baby's from the rest or should I take them inside and use my brooder until the get big enough to join their flock? Any and all help and comments are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ridgerunner that is a big help for me. I believe I will leave her on the nest in the coop and let her go naturally. My only concern is will she eat and drink enough. Also she has three eggs under her now. Should I allow a few more to be laid? I have noticed on the eggs I fry approximately 75-80 % are fertile. Thanks again for the great input.

You need to start all the eggs you want her to hatch at the same time. Chicken eggs take about 21 days of incubation to hatch. If you start more eggs a couple of days after she has started, she will take the first chicks off the nest to find them food and water before the later eggs hatch.

Thank you ridgerunner. Yesterday she started with 3 so if she has more today I will leave them and let her do her thing with those eggs. I wil mark all of the eggs now and check daily for new eggs and remove as needed. Thanks again for the help.

Back
Top Bottom