Advice/Help Needed - Bright Green Poop

Quote: I am so glad she has recuperated!! I LOVE a happy ending!!
smile.png
Usually after a bout of yeast, the bird is slow to begin eating again. Those yeasts reak havoc on the intestinal tract and until a bird knows it can digest, it will eat very little. So I am happy to hear she is back to eating and doing so well!!

My girl completely recuperated after 2, 1 week doses of Acidified Copper Sulfate. She was slow to come back as well and I have to say it was 1 full month before she was back to her old self. Her poop is brown, dry, nice white cap, she eats like a horse, is back to laying, done with her molt too and all is well with my hen!!

Anyway, thanks so much for the update, I love to hear that sick birds have healed!!
yippiechickie.gif

Hi! I just thought I should update this and give the outcome of Miss Henny Penny. The Monistat started working on her crop right after the first treatment and I continued with the full treatment, which cleared it up. While she was drinking quite a bit on her own, I was still very worried about her eating, which was next to nothing. I was getting desperate and was ready to learn how to tube feed. Of course I didn't have the tubes, so I ordered a few different sizes online from the place @casportpony recommended to me at one time. However, by the time they arrived, she was fully eating on her own again and I started tracking her weight to make sure she was gaining. I feel good though that I now have those tubes on hand in case I ever need them in the future. As of today, she is eating like a champ, finishing up her molt and just started to lay again last week, which I was hoping that she would take a little longer break from laying than a month. We've been alternating between probiotics and acv in the water, which we have always done anyway. I just want to say thanks again for all the advice and support! Hope your girl is still doing well! :)

What kind of probiotics did you use? SAVE A CHICK?

I have been using the Probios powder for the past few years now. I'm not sure if there's something better out there, but our local feed store carries this and it is relatively inexpensive. I put it in their water and they love it! Even our dogs love it!
What kind of probiotics did you use? SAVE A CHICK?
I have been using the Probios powder for the past few years now. I'm not sure if there's something better out there, but our local feed store carries this and it is relatively inexpensive. I put it in their water and they love it! Even our dogs love it!

I am so glad she has recuperated!! I LOVE a happy ending!!
smile.png
Usually after a bout of yeast, the bird is slow to begin eating again. Those yeasts reak havoc on the intestinal tract and until a bird knows it can digest, it will eat very little. So I am happy to hear she is back to eating and doing so well!!

My girl completely recuperated after 2, 1 week doses of Acidified Copper Sulfate. She was slow to come back as well and I have to say it was 1 full month before she was back to her old self. Her poop is brown, dry, nice white cap, she eats like a horse, is back to laying, done with her molt too and all is well with my hen!!

Anyway, thanks so much for the update, I love to hear that sick birds have healed!!
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks you so much! Me too! I was a little nervous when she started laying again, since the vet originally thought that this all stemmed from a laying/reproductive issue, but I guess there's not much I can do about that. Since, she started laying again though, I saw a couple of poops last weekend that worried me some (watery/milky looking), but they haven't been consistent and she seems to be fine otherwise. So, I'll still be keeping an eye on that.

I am so glad to hear that your girl has completely recuperated and is back to her old self! It is such a great feeling when they recover from a sickness!! :)

Quote: My hen also had some funky milky like poop occasionally for a couple of weeks after her bout of yeast. I believe the intestines may have been lacking in good digestive yeasts, possibly even damaged? So hopefully your hen is going through the same thing. Make sure she gets lots of vitamins too. I added a poultry supplement to the flocks diet, (Manna Pro's Omega Egg Maker) which has all the vitamins/minerals, all kinds of good stuff for the gut and extra calcium which I have heard helps prevent Enteritis of the gut, and she improved greatly after this. (don't use probiotics in the water when using it in the feed. Giving too much probiotics will cause the immune system to panic and backfire.)

I hope your girl gets back to normal soon!
smile.png

Last edited:
My hen also had some funky milky like poop occasionally for a couple of weeks after her bout of yeast. I believe the intestines may have been lacking in good digestive yeasts, possibly even damaged? So hopefully your hen is going through the same thing. Make sure she gets lots of vitamins too. I added a poultry supplement to the flocks diet, (Manna Pro's Omega Egg Maker) which has all the vitamins/minerals, all kinds of good stuff for the gut and extra calcium which I have heard helps prevent Enteritis of the gut, and she improved greatly after this. (don't use probiotics in the water when using it in the feed. Giving too much probiotics will cause the immune system to panic and backfire.)

smile.png

That is really good to know, so hopefully it's the same thing with her. At the moment, I do have the Manna Pro Performance pellets, so I'll start adding those until I pick up some of the Omega Egg Maker. Thanks again for all the wonderful advice!
smile.png

My hen also had some funky milky like poop occasionally for a couple of weeks after her bout of yeast. I believe the intestines may have been lacking in good digestive yeasts, possibly even damaged? So hopefully your hen is going through the same thing. Make sure she gets lots of vitamins too. I added a poultry supplement to the flocks diet, (Manna Pro's Omega Egg Maker) which has all the vitamins/minerals, all kinds of good stuff for the gut and extra calcium which I have heard helps prevent Enteritis of the gut, and she improved greatly after this. (don't use probiotics in the water when using it in the feed. Giving too much probiotics will cause the immune system to panic and backfire.)

smile.png

So, my girl still has the milky poop and I did get a picture of one from yesterday evening. I am really thinking that it all has something to do with laying because she had been doing great and everything seemed normal until a short time after she started back up laying. Something is obviously wrong with her, as these symptoms keep up and are becoming more prevalent. Shortly after she started laying again, she started drinking water excessively, milky and very watery poop with not much substance in it and I have also noticed that her crop never becomes very full throughout the day and is often empty at roosting time. She does have interest in eating though and gets really excited when she sees me bring their bowls out. Before bed, I often give her own bowl of feed with some warm water and she gobbles that up. Over this past weekend, I noticed her breathing became rapid. She is breathing with her beak closed, but I can she the movements in her body and it just looks like rapid and heavy breathing and her heart rate feels fast. Yesterday, her abdomen felt enlarged and hard, which I have done a little bit of reading on here about that and I see internal laying mentioned several times. I do still see her scratching around and moving about with the others, so it's not like she's standing in a corner by herself, but I can still tell she's not her spunky self and obviously all these symptoms mean something is wrong. I feel so badly for her and wonder if there's really much that can be done about any of this? She was already on an antibiotic in late December, which caused her sour crop and I did end up calling the vet back to ask about the fecal test and they did test for worms and cocci also. She was negative on all those. She'll be 3 years old in April and over the past year, her shells have been quite thin. She has been an egg laying machine and only has taken off 1 month of laying in her entire laying career. I'm just wondering if there's anything I should be doing for her? I'm really worried about her hard abdomen, but I don't know what to do about that? Ascites is usually a large, squishy abdomen, right? I just don't want this to cause her extreme discomfort.

So, my girl still has the milky poop and I did get a picture of one from yesterday evening. I am really thinking that it all has something to do with laying because she had been doing great and everything seemed normal until a short time after she started back up laying. Something is obviously wrong with her, as these symptoms keep up and are becoming more prevalent. Shortly after she started laying again, she started drinking water excessively, milky and very watery poop with not much substance in it and I have also noticed that her crop never becomes very full throughout the day and is often empty at roosting time. She does have interest in eating though and gets really excited when she sees me bring their bowls out. Before bed, I often give her own bowl of feed with some warm water and she gobbles that up. Over this past weekend, I noticed her breathing became rapid. She is breathing with her beak closed, but I can she the movements in her body and it just looks like rapid and heavy breathing and her heart rate feels fast. Yesterday, her abdomen felt enlarged and hard, which I have done a little bit of reading on here about that and I see internal laying mentioned several times. I do still see her scratching around and moving about with the others, so it's not like she's standing in a corner by herself, but I can still tell she's not her spunky self and obviously all these symptoms mean something is wrong. I feel so badly for her and wonder if there's really much that can be done about any of this? She was already on an antibiotic in late December, which caused her sour crop and I did end up calling the vet back to ask about the fecal test and they did test for worms and cocci also. She was negative on all those. She'll be 3 years old in April and over the past year, her shells have been quite thin. She has been an egg laying machine and only has taken off 1 month of laying in her entire laying career. I'm just wondering if there's anything I should be doing for her? I'm really worried about her hard abdomen, but I don't know what to do about that? Ascites is usually a large, squishy abdomen, right? I just don't want this to cause her extreme discomfort.

I am sorry your hen is still suffering. And I am not sure what could be wrong at this point. Although I had a hen with a very hard abdomen too, I never did figure out why it was so hard, but she was sick at the time and passed on a few months later. I THINK it could be internal laying, the hardness being all the cooked egg yolks being deposited in the abdomen. I have also had internal layers that did develop ascites, (water belly) as well from the internal infections causing fluid to leak into the belly cavity. If this is internal laying, there isn't much you can do for her other than limiting her daylight hours to 8 or so, lowering her protein intake too. Both of these will slow or stop the egg laying, at least for a while.

Do you have an avian vet you can take her too?

Quote:
We do have avian vets in the area and I took in her in Dec. when she had that lime green poop. I was worried at the time that she had some sort of bacterial infection. He really thought she had some reproductive issues, but couldn't verify that unless we did xrays and blood work. I was already $160 into the visit with just the fecal and antibiotic. Unfortunately, I just couldn't afford to have all these tests run, which I hate having to make that decisions. So, I can't really take her back to the vet. I'm sorry that your girl suffered from internal laying. So, you just let the hard abdomen be? I guess that is what I was worried about. I don't want her to suffer and be in pain, but I didn't want to make any premature decisions either. They are on a 20% protein feed right now because I had them on that throughout the winter, so I will definitely get them back on a lower one. Thanks so much for your input on this.

Back
Top Bottom