Advice - Modified dog house

NatJ

Free Ranging
Mar 20, 2017
USA
I was wondering if those gaps would be in my favor to help with ventilation in summer but negative in winter.

I can definitely consider adding more ventilation next spring but want to make sure they’re all set up as we get into winter.

Does your run have a roof?
Do you consider it completely predator proof?

If so, for summer, I would put a roost in the run for them to sleep on.

FunkyChickenButt

Chirping
Jul 5, 2020
Thanks all, that’s really helpful. I moved from Ohio where winters are coooold but didn’t know if my California chickens would be chilled during the night at 40 degrees 😅

FunkyChickenButt

Chirping
Jul 5, 2020
Does your run have a roof?
Do you consider it completely predator proof?

If so, for summer, I would put a roost in the run for them to sleep on.

Yes, it’s a corrugated plastic roof and is surrounded by 1/2 inch hardware mesh. I plan to put a roost about 3 ft up in the run as well.

Do you all have any suggestions about other additions in the run? I feel like one roost is a little boring for them.

May 22, 2020
Texas
Some things that may also need to be taken into consideration, are if the breed of chickens you have, are more suitable to warm or cold climates. This also can play an important role in how they handle weather. Some breeds are more suited to different climates.

NatJ

Free Ranging
Mar 20, 2017
USA
Do you all have any suggestions about other additions in the run? I feel like one roost is a little boring for them.

You could add a second roost :)

And they always like to have stuff to scratch through. So if you put in plenty of dry leaves, wood chips, and anything that would normally go in a compost pile, they can scratch for hours and keep finding tiny bits of something they like to eat.

FunkyChickenButt

Chirping
Jul 5, 2020
You could add a second roost :)

And they always like to have stuff to scratch through. So if you put in plenty of dry leaves, wood chips, and anything that would normally go in a compost pile, they can scratch for hours and keep finding tiny bits of something they like to eat.

Thanks 🙏 tons of dried leaves and things around for them. I may try to make a swing? Just want them to have a fulfilling life haha

rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
It's always been my understanding, that the coop itself ie: protective area, should not have gaps in it. Have you ever set outside at night, in 40 degree weather, no coat, with the wind blowing on you? They DO NEED, somewhere to go, during those times. Nuff said.....

I'd say it varies due to climate and the setup. The reason I made that suggestion is that solid long wall in the run will buffer incoming winds (assuming there's not some sort of weird cycloning wind action right at that exact spot) and so it makes the wall of the coop facing into it a logical place to add a lot of ventilation, which would normally be difficult to add in a small coop.

Most parts of So Cal never get past "cool" in winter but can get very hot in the summer. Chickens won't suffer and die from being exposed to 40F, but sure can at 95F+.

Thanks 🙏 tons of dried leaves and things around for them. I may try to make a swing? Just want them to have a fulfilling life haha

You can try a swing, but don't get discouraged if they won't use it. I have one but I've only ever had chicks use it, and as they grow older they no longer want to.

Top Bottom