Advice needed - 100 extra hatching eggs received today

StephenQuailCovey

In the Brooder
May 1, 2020
I ordered 110 Jumbo Pharaoh Hatching Eggs and received 220. (Seller sent double after weeks of shipping delays...but didn’t give me a head’s up.) My Genesis Hova-Bator 1588 can only handle 120 eggs.

What to do with 100 extra hatching eggs? Tried to buy another incubator locally. Sold out. Tried to order another online. Back-ordered. I’m near Atlanta, Georgia, and hate for 100 eggs to be wasted. I posted a Craigslist ad but am not very hopeful of someone coming to get them.

idea: I have a defective incubator (Genesis Hova-Bator 1588. Received it new with a bad controller, and GQFMF said to keep it. Shipped me a new one.) So I have the makings of a 2nd incubator. Do I dare attempt to heat this at 100° somehow? Humidity shouldn’t be difficult to maintain. It’s humid and 77° in my unfinished basement.

Thanks!

@Nabiki ? I'm thinking that you could maybe sell them?
Thanks. I would gladly give them to someone who is going to hatch them. I posted a Craigslist ad but am not very hopeful of someone coming to get them. They were shipped Monday, so I have a week or so to re-home them probably...but would like to decide soon.

You should try and fix up your old incubator it might work it's probably just as good as a homemade one at this point right ?
Thanks. The styrofoam is perfect, but there’s no power. I’d need to heat it and regulate that heat somehow. I’m currently watching YouTube videos but am not yet comfortable in holding it at a steady 100° and know that temperature fluctuation is the worst thing for the chicks in incubation. (I can regulate the humidity fine.)

Any advice on what is best to heat this incubator and hold the temperature steady?

@CluckNDoodle is in Georgia, maybe she would hatch them for you or let you borrow an incubator? Maybe she knows someone locally who can? I'd send her a PM. Good luck with the extras!

Thanks! I’m new to this forum and new to hatching quail (watched my grandfather do it 40 years ago). So I’m happy to connect with locals. I’d gladly give someone these eggs. I’ll PM CluckNDoodle.

@CluckNDoodle is in Georgia, maybe she would hatch them for you or let you borrow an incubator? Maybe she knows someone locally who can? I'd send her a PM. Good luck with the extras!
Thanks! I’m new to this forum and new to hatching quail (watched my grandfather do it 40 years ago). So I’m happy to connect with locals. I’d gladly give someone these eggs. I’ll PM CluckNDoodle.

I responded to your message. I do wish I were closer! I love hatching peeps but I tagged you in the Georgia thread here on BYC and I do know that most of the people I talk to over there are actually closer to you than me! It's worth a shot! Good luck! Worst case if you head this direction at all I could always meet you halfway!

Thanks! I’m slammed at work and haven’t strayed more than 4 miles from my house since mid-March. I’ll gladly give them to someone who can pick them up in Douglasville this weekend. Otherwise, I’ll find a way to incubate them. I can’t let these future birds go to waste.

Back
Top Bottom