Advice Needed ASAP Hatching Now

busterduck

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Mechanicsville, MD
I have two that pipped and zipped and now no movement. Five other eggs I can't see what is going on. I have five chicks crowding the bator and moving the rest of the eggs around. Should I take the chicks out and put them in a brooder? I heard you shouldn't open up the bator until all are hatched out or three days.

I worry that the two that have pipped and zipped have died or are close to dying. They haven't moved for about 12 hours. Advice needed please.

My advice would be...
Be Patient.
Even if you do open the bator to check on the unhatched eggs, you won't be able to do anything for them unless you're ready to intervene. If you intervene - you have to be ready to accept responsibility for the consequences if you "help" and a chick doesn't make it.
If it's been 12 hours, they are either resting, ready to hatch... or they didn't make it. Opening the 'bator now will just drop humidity & temp - possibly causing your remaining live chicks to become stuck in their shells.
Be Patient.
Good Luck.

Last edited:
I usually take chicks out once a day. I know the arguments about dropping the humidity, i usually mist or throw in a wet papertowel and it pops right back up. Once they start zipping they usually come right on out, so if they zipped but haven't come out, they are probably stuck. Its your call whether or not you will intervene. There are very extreme opinions that run both directions here on BYC, but you are the one who has to decide what is right for you.

Agree with paganbird
Patience!!! We have had chicks that will rest for up to 24 hours before making the final push. Many times they will be working on the inside layers of the shell and you just cant see them moving. The only time you would want to intervene is is you knew for sure the chick was stuck in the shell. Chicks will generally not push out of the shell until all the yolk sac has been absorbed. They may pip and zip and if you help and that sac has not been absorbed then you risk causing them to bleed to death or to have other health issues. It is all a gamble when you hatch eggs. You just have to be ready to take responsibility for helping or not helping.

Quote:
The egg in quesiton has a good sized chip out of it. I could clearly see the chicks beak moving inside yesterday. All of a sudden, itjust stopped. I am setting up my brooder. Today is day 21. I haven't decided if I am going to intervein. I have no problem accepting the concequences of interveining. The fact is, if I don't I will have to accept those concequences as well. If it is safe to take the chicks out once a day, I may do just that. They are knocking around the other eggs. I don't see pips on any other eggs other than these two that have stopped progressing.

I will wait for more opinions before I do anything. I have a brinsea Oct 20 and I believe the humidity will stay high even if I open it. It always does.

Thanks so much for the advice. Please keep it coming.

We have interveined a few times and with great success and a few failures. It is not out of the question to step in. Get your brooder set up and up to temp and when you go to move your chicks over check the eggs in question. I will take toothpicks and gently pull at the shell and break small pieces off. You will be able to tell right away if the chick is stuck. If it is, take a warm damp cloth and place over the egg for a few minutes to moisten the shell. Work on the shell half at it's head first. remove just enough shell around the zip line to get the chick moving again or you can remove the shell slowly to make sure that it is not still attached inside someplace. If the chick comes out and has not absorbed the yolk sac completely you can place the little chick in a small container to one side of the bator until the sac is absorbed. This keeps other chicks from picking at it.

Back
Top Bottom