Ducklings hatching!

oklahomafirsttimehatcher

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2023
I just got up to check the humidity and it stayed the whole night and the egg I thought was going to hatch today is hating!!!! He\she has made wonderful progress! I looked in the bator because I heard a lot of peeping and the baby has its beak out and a decent size pip but hasn't made a zip yet so that concerns me.. Can the baby just make a bigger whole? Or do I need to help soon? Does the baby need to zip? Also this egg is one that pipped on the wrong end, it pipped on the opposite side of the air pocket.

Be patient. Pipping on the wrong end means the duckling will need to go through the process of absorbing the yolk ect. All While externally pipped. Somethings would normally happen during the internal pip stage have to happen while externally pipped. I'm not sure about ducklings, but a chick that makes a good sized hole in the wrong end has a good chance of hatching on its own.

Thank you! I just looked at it again and its trying to kinda push its way out instead of zipping so I'm just not sure if and and when ill need to help

Sounds likely it has a clear air hole and moving. Helping to soon before yolk is absorbed is what could harm it. If it has not made progress by tomorrow morning then would be the time to access if assisting would be necessary. You may want to read the article on assisted hatching.

It has been over 48 hours since it has externally pipped and even though its been that long I am going to wait and see if it can hatch by itself because it has a big hole to breath from and is moving peeping but in a little bit I am going to visit family for a few hours and I'm just hoping nothing goes wrong while I am away, maybe it will hatch while I'm gone but if it doesn't when I get back I will try to assist it. I have been reading articles about helping them also but if all goes well I won't need to 🙏🙏

Just got home and it hatched!!!! And is helping the others!
Sounds likely it has a clear air hole and moving. Helping to soon before yolk is absorbed is what could harm it. If it has not made progress by tomorrow morning then would be the time to access if assisting would be necessary. You may want to read the article on assisted hatching.

Update: another one hatched last last night/this morning, I think one is having trouble but I don't want to risk anything and help him out the shell. And I can't tell if the other egg has pepper yet and if it has I don't think its gonna be good.. I'll update again in the afternoon

Back
Top Bottom