Advice needed-Cockerel suddenly sleeping on the floor and not leaving the coop in the day time.

Looking for some advice for our cockerel and his behaviour/what could be wrong?

We believe he is a Brahma, but could be a mix. Not 100% on the age as he was a rescue, but roughly around 4-5 judging where he came from. He hasn't lost any weight as far as we can tell.

He has very suddenly (3 days) stopped sitting on the perch at night and has made himself a nest on the floor. We tried putting him on the perch one night, but he immediately went to the ground. He was a bit wobbly on the perch, but not sure if that was sleepiness or a symptom. He's suddenly very docile (usually doesn't like being handled, but now doesn't stop us picking him up). He also doesn't leave the coop in the day unless we bring a treat to the coop.

None of the others chickens are exhibiting anything similar or behaving strangely.

We initially checked his feet, which look completely fine, no bumble foot or obvious injuries. No signs of mites on him or the girls. However, he does look to be walking a little gingerly on them from time to time.

His comb is fine, nice colour. We also checked his behind and nothing amiss there. He's also eating normally and drinking.

We've washed his feet (mild washing up liquid) and applied vetricyn plus just in case on both feet so far.

The nearest vet that will look at poultry is over an hour away so any help we could action ourselves would be great.

Thanks for any help!
Are you in the UK? There's something viral and neurological going around. My dom (same age as yours) went down with it about 6 weeks ago and his early symptoms sound like yours (no-one else in my flock of 20 showing any symptoms). You said he walks gingerly from time to time but there's no sign of bumblefoot etc. Does he stumble? Lose his balance? Fall heels over head?

Are you in the UK? There's something viral and neurological going around. My dom (same age as yours) went down with it about 6 weeks ago and his early symptoms sound like yours (no-one else in my flock of 20 showing any symptoms). You said he walks gingerly from time to time but there's no sign of bumblefoot etc. Does he stumble? Lose his balance? Fall heels over head?
Yes, Norfolk. He wasn't very stable on the perch, but on the ground he seems OK, just sort of "tip toey" if that makes sense

Yes, Norfolk. He wasn't very stable on the perch, but on the ground he seems OK, just sort of "tip toey" if that makes sense
that's how mine started. If it is the same thing, the tremors will get worse. At his worst mine was on his side for 2 weeks, able only to lift his head and pedal his legs (they remained strong, he just couldn't get up), and needed intensive care to pull through - comb red and desire to eat mostly remained throughout. He's on the mend and on his feet again now, and has been feeding himself for 2 weeks, but still a bit slow and unsteady. (Being in moult at the same time doesn't help but is beyond anyone's control.)

that's how mine started. If it is the same thing, the tremors will get worse. At his worst mine was on his side for 2 weeks, able only to lift his head and pedal his legs (they remained strong, he just couldn't get up), and needed intensive care to pull through - comb red and desire to eat mostly remained throughout. He's on the mend and on his feet again now, and has been feeding himself for 2 weeks, but still a bit slow and unsteady. (Being in moult at the same time doesn't help but is beyond anyone's control.)
How did you care for him? Just in case this is what it is!

Sadly no improvement today. We've put him in a seperate coop for now as we noticed a few of the girls pecking him as they went inside for food.

Tried the scrambled eggs and he hasn't eaten any of it or corn 😔

He's just sitting there on the coop floor.

Assuming that it’s age, I had a similar problem with an older hen. In my case, it turned out the problem was that she was just not physically able to get onto the roost. I can only assume that because she wasn’t roosting with the flock, she didn’t want to range with them either. I added a step (cinder block) so she didn’t have as far to jump and that solved both the sleeping on the floor issue and the self esteem issue that kept her from wanting to come out of the coop.

Edit - seeing new posts. My issue probably isn’t the case. Sorry.

Sadly no improvement today. We've put him in a seperate coop for now as we noticed a few of the girls pecking him as they went inside for food.

Tried the scrambled eggs and he hasn't eaten any of it or corn 😔

He's just sitting there on the coop floor.
have you got live mealworms? if so try holding one close to his beak.
Alternatively have you got a tin of sardines to spare? try a little piece.

My boy ate very little at the worst stage, and only took water when it was dripped (by syringe) onto his beak, and I thought he'd be dead by morning. But next day my notes record "Refused water. But ate mealworms, ½ sardine, ½ banana, and some milk-soaked bread all from laying position @8.30am" - all of it literally presented right to his beak - and since then he turned the corner. It was several days of this before he was well enough to eat himself, from a bowl put right in front of him, without being spoon fed.

Back
Top Bottom