Advice needed-Cockerel suddenly sleeping on the floor and not leaving the coop in the day time.

No good news today. Checked his feet again but no sign of anything obvious. Still very docile. I had hold of him trying to feed him (he ate and drank a little but not much). He seems to be sitting oddly, butt slightly in the air, but nothing around his butt that looks bad from the outside, poop looks normal. He's also very unsteady, when I let him go, he sort of fell forward.

It continues to sound like he has what mine has/had. If so, it will get worse before it gets better. Here's some photos of what you could face. If you've got something like the Sainsbury's trug, some dirt in the bottom works well as easy to clean/change bedding and keeps the trug upright even when the bird is leaning on one side for support; though during the period he couldn't do anything but lay on his side I found a towel on the floor worked best. Keeping his bum clean was difficult then too as he had foul diarrhoea.

Attachments

• DSC03109.JPG
    DSC03109.JPG
    522.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC03117.JPG
    DSC03117.JPG
    688.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC03145.JPG
    DSC03145.JPG
    330.8 KB · Views: 3
It continues to sound like he has what mine has/had. If so, it will get worse before it gets better. Here's some photos of what you could face. If you've got something like the Sainsbury's trug, some dirt in the bottom works well as easy to clean/change bedding and keeps the trug upright even when the bird is leaning on one side for support; though during the period he couldn't do anything but lay on his side I found a towel on the floor worked best. Keeping his bum clean was difficult then too as he had foul diarrhoea.
Ooof I might bring him into the house so we can keep a better eye on him. My husband works from home so at least he can try feeding at regular intervals. 🤞🤞

A little bit of good news. He's eaten solid food today, the first time in a week (we'd had to make a slurry out of layer pellets previously and give it to him in a syringe). He was very happy picking at some fruit and egg today 🤞 still very lethargic but I take that as a little positive!

delighted to hear he's still with you and eating some real food. Bread (any, but wholemeal is better than white) soaked with milk (real milk, from a cow or other animal, not from a plant) and/or little slices of a peanut-butter sandwich are nutritious foods that work well for invalids too.

delighted to hear he's still with you and eating some real food. Bread (any, but wholemeal is better than white) soaked with milk (real milk, from a cow or other animal, not from a plant) and/or little slices of a peanut-butter sandwich are nutritious foods that work well for invalids too.
I'll definitely try that! He was a little more active too, moving his head away when he'd had enough etc. For a few days he'd just sit there until you moved away beak touching the bowl or food but not eating.

Back
Top Bottom