Advice needed for a bad situation

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Pyxis, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Hey all, wasn't sure what forum would be most appropriate, but I thought this was the closest, so here we go. As I said, I need advice.

I have a friend who keeps a hen. Illegally. Now, this wouldn't be so bad, as long as he didn't get caught - I'm sure a lot of people keep chickens illegally, whether knowingly or not. It's the way he keeps her that bothers me. Now, she's a big buff orpington, so keep that in mind. He keeps her inside all the time (can't risk a neighbor seeing her in the yard, and the yards are tiny, so that WOULD happen). This wouldn't be bad, either - lots of people have house chickens. This is not what he does. He keeps her in a tiny cage that is, maybe, 2 feet by one foot. I don't think it's even that big. Oh, and he keeps her with a male pheasant, both locked in that cage all day every day. And he did have another hen, also locked in the cage with them, but she mysteriously passed away. So I don't think he's even really taking care of them all that well. And I can attest to the fact that both birds are locked in the cage with their feces for at least a week between changes. They run out of water constantly, and he never has money to buy them feed (he's mooched feed off of me several times) because he has a zillion other animals, mostly reptiles and rodents, to the point that you can't even walk in his room and there's maybe two feet of free space in there, besides the bed. Yes, he keeps them all in one room and sleeps in that room. The hen is so stressed that she's never laid an egg, despite the fact that she always has at least twelve hours of light and is well over six months old. I feel so bad for both birds. She hasn't seen the outside in at least three months. And now he's talking that he wants ducks, plural, to also cram into his room somehow in cages. Did I mention he also keeps a pit bull in the house with a taste for birds?

So here's the problem: I've offered to take her, several times, and he refuses. He always insists that she's happy and spoiled, which clearly she's not. And now he wants ducks and has been pestering me to buy some of my ducklings, which is ironic because he already owes me $30, but I digress. The simple solution: report him. He'll get a letter or a call saying he has to get rid of the birds in 30 days or face astronomical fines. And I know he'll immediately get in touch and ask me to take them. I would feel absolutely rotten doing this, but I haven't been able to convince him. He's so convinced that he's an animal lover and has 'rescued' all his animals that he refuses to see what he's doing and it hurts the birds. I've tried time and again, to no avail. And now he wants to add more illegal birds to cram in cages.

So here's the question: Do I report him, or do I let it be? What do you all think?

2. crazychickenwom

crazychickenwom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Report him, if they die you will never forgive yourself... you know that they need help, and it sounds like he does too. It might be a win win and more of the animals will get help as well.

Report him... don't wait...

3. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Well, I was thinking about making the call tomorrow. I just wondered if this was a situation in which I should just mind my own business...

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Report him. You may lose him as a friend, but that appears to be a one way street anyway. He sounds like an animal hoarder who is overwhelmed with what he has and does not realize it. Good luck.

5. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Report him, you may feel bad about it, and he may decide not to be your friend, but you know those birds are not being cared for and aren't happy. You have to be their voice, help them.

6. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Report him. Those animals need your help, and they are slowly suffering while we debate whether or not you should report him. Report, report, report! I am sorry you may have to lose a friend, but think about the poor creatures that are suffering. *HUGS* [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  7. X2

8. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    So the next question is who do I call? Would it be the local ordinance enforcer?

9. kerriann80

kerriann80 New Egg

Sep 8, 2012
    Texas
    I would always start with the county sheriff's office, since they'll definitely know who you should contact. That's what we've had to do before.

10. keep us posted please?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by