Advice Needed - House for sale, realtor states chickens prevent sales!

juliab

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 26, 2011
Hi There,
My name is Julia. My husband and I have four wonderful Rhode Island Reds named Tabasco, Ginger, Saffron & Paprika.

We have an issue regarding our home being up for sale. The house is part of my husband's previous marriage and needs to finally be sold to pay off the ex. After putting the house up for sale, we find out that the realtor is a friend of the ex. The realtor and the ex are stating that the chickens are a deterrent to selling a house! These chickens are well-taken care of, clean and well-behaved. They are our pets, not livestock!
Does anyone have suggestions as to what other types of arguments we can present before this is put before the court to decide? We are so upset at the thought of having to get rid of our girls!
Thank you for any suggestion you might have,
Julia

Depending upon the potential buyer, the Realtor and ex are correct. Unfortunately, there are more buyers I suspect of the "OMG! They keep dirty, smelly livestock here!" than of the "Cool, it comes with a coop already!" variety.

There is a house in my sis's neighborhood that's been on the market for what seems like forever. One common thread amongst possible buyers is complete shock and disgust over the fact there are 4 hens there.
hu.gif

Maybe it's different in other parts of the country, but that's what it's like here. Why would you get rid of them, though? Why not just move them? If the coop could pass for a doghouse and run, just crate them and take with you when the house is being shown, just like you would a dog or cat.

I have dogs and a cat, but when I was looking, I hated when people left dogs and cats loose in the houses being shown. Areas of the house you can't look at or go into because there's a dog or having to chase down the cat that ran out when you opened the door.
hmm.png

Julia, I am a realtor. The chickens are going with you right? Then, in your listing agent's remarks, make sure she clearly states that the chickens DO NOT stay with the home. That's crazy, and they are just picking on you. My clients have animals of every kind and unless your house smells like a chicken, then there is NO reason for them to be saying that. They better be careful, could get in trouble for being that negative. Also, I didn't read real close, but if I understand this, you just found out your listing agent is a friend of the ex; withdraw your listing from her and list with a completely different, even go out of town, agency. Don't even let this come close to a court thing, which honestly I don't think it can . . .not sure what state you are in. BUT, as a realtor, I can tell you this for sure. . . your agent is NOT working in your best interest and she needs to go. You need to call her and give her an ultimatum. . .homes are hard to sell enough as it is, and she should know this. Unbelievable!!!!!

I completely agree w/ whispering winds, the real estate agent is supose to be working for the home owner in the case of a split home owner like you describe an agent w/o previous history would be a much better choice. There is already bad feelings going into that situation w/o having someone who is "working for you" actually working against you.

I can't imagine someone not buying a home b/c of chickens, but like a previous poster stated just crate them and remove them during the showing. If they free range through the whole yard just make sure no unpleasant "poop" to step in when they look in the back yard.

Quote:
I 100% agree! That was my first thought...the agent is not on their side. Time for a new agent.

Mine too
thumbsup.gif

Me, too, - sounds like they are trying to make trouble

Are the chickens inside or in a coop outside? If they're inside, the realtor is probably right. If they're in a coop outside, all you have to say is that the coop and chickens are leaving with you and are not selling with the house.

BTW, I'm getting a little tired of the HGTV theory of home sales... you know, you have to get rid of all personal items, the home has to look like nobody ever lived in it, etc. Lived in a house for two years while trying to sell it and got awfully tired of realtors' advice.

Time for a new agent was my first thought also. One that works in YOUR interest.

Does the coop stay with the property, or is it considered as personal property and
intended to go with you?

May I ask one silly question...were the chickens there when the first wife was? As in
she was at one time a part owner of the chickens?

Quote:
Is there a way you can temporarily rehome them until after the sale of your house? I have known people who have had to get rid of their dogs and cats (or let them go stay temporarily with friends/relatives) while their home is on the market.

It's unfortunate, but your hubby's ex and the realtor are correct. Having livestock on the property will likely inhibit a quick sale. Prospective buyers who aren't into chickens might see it as "something else they just have to clean up" before they can move into their new home, and most homebuyers just want to be able to buy their home and move right in.

With any luck, tomorrow your agent will get a call from a chicken-lover who is looking for a place that is already set up for their feathered family members. Wouldn't that just be so cool? Never know... miracles happen ALL the time.

Back
Top Bottom