What in the world happened to my chicken?!

red1407

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2023
So the other morning I walked out and one of our chickens was just walking around in the chicken yard ( they have their own area fenced off bc of our dogs ) . Didn’t think much about it- just figured you got stuck on the outside of the run before I closed it and I don’t notice her. While I was checking on her I noticed her feathers were hanging low in her chest are kindve above her left wing. So upon further inspection she definitely was either wounded by something or got caught on something? Not really sure…… so I cleaned it up and put her in the dog crate hospital in our house. Today my husband and I put her in the sink and really started to clean it bc it STUNK. Like death. And before yall come for me. Yes I’m aware it’s infection and needs antibiotics- but that’s not gonna happen. So we cleaned it up and here is what we found under matted feathers and scabbed infection. Yall I about puked the entire time. Now makes me wonder if she’s had this for much longer , and if she has , WHAT IS IT?! It’s like a hard lump almost like a growth?! The stuff in my hand is the feathers I pulled out of that spot that were matted. Currently, I have cleaned it with warm water, sprayed with vetricyn and smothered in neosporin. I will continue washing it for a few days I suppose? Any other recommendations as to what I should do or what this is?! And no, I am not going to the vet that’s not an option here.

Attachments

• IMG_6856.jpeg
    IMG_6856.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6857.jpeg
    IMG_6857.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6858.jpeg
    IMG_6858.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6860.jpeg
    IMG_6860.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6861.jpeg
    IMG_6861.jpeg
    272.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6864.jpeg
    IMG_6864.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 20
The vet is usually not an option, and when they are, it's a coin toss if they know anything about chickens.
that's why this site exists. :] Experienced users, giving experienced advice .
It does look a growth to me, is it attached to the flesh or just the skin?

The vet is usually not an option, and when they are, it's a coin toss if they know anything about chickens.
that's why this site exists. :] Experienced users, giving experienced advice .
It does look a growth to me, is it attached to the flesh or just the skin?
So it is attached I think if I’m understanding your question correctly. Seems like open flesh/meat. VERY strange. It’s hard-ish.

So it is attached I think if I’m understanding your question correctly. Seems like open flesh/meat. VERY strange. It’s hard-ish.
I'll rephrase, but you've already answered the question. I mean, does it seem to be only attached to the skin layer or deeper? It doesn't look an abcess or cyst, but a tumor or cancer.

I'll rephrase, but you've already answered the question. I mean, does it seem to be only attached to the skin layer or deeper? It doesn't look an abcess or cyst, but a tumor or cancer.
Yes I think you’re right. Maybe right on the skin- like I think if I were to slice right under it, it would disconnect.

My gut says to see if you can you pick at the cheesey yellow stuff, does it come off? You can sterilize an instrument by boiling it for fifteen minutes and then see if you can pick it. Might need to do a compress before hand to soften it .

My gut says to see if you can you pick at the cheesey yellow stuff, does it come off? You can sterilize an instrument by boiling it for fifteen minutes and then see if you can pick it. Might need to do a compress before hand to soften it .
I’m gonna do some more work on it tomorrow. It must’ve felt good to her ( or maybe she’s gettin weak ) bc she didn’t even put up a fight the entire time I was debriding it. I will clean it again tomorrow and she how it looks. Maybe you’re right, maybe I should try to pick that off. Soften it first.

Back
Top Bottom