Advice needed if anyone has a minute

sixlittlechicks09

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Wyalusing
Hello everyone!
Not really an emergency, but I figured it'd belong in this section. My hens are molting something terrible. They look so ragged, it's sad. I was just wondering, is it normal for them to get skinny during molt? I've checked my hens all over for mites/lice/worms and they've got a clean bill of health. They've got plenty of feed, layena whenever they want it and a few scoops of scratch everyday (plus tons of treats) but they're so skinny, I can feel a huge prominent breastbone on my three RIR hens. Is there anything else I can do? They get corn, BOSS and oats in their scratch. Thanks, hope everyone had a nice new year!

Quote:
Laying hens aren't supposed to be fat. That being said, Hannah, my almost 5 yr old BR who is no longer laying (at least not now) is FAT!! She's a big pig. She'll eat anything whenever !

Jen

Yeah, our laying hens aren't super fat, but we have several Barred Rocks and EE's that are not molting and they are rather plump
roll.png
(They're fatties) But my three RIR girls are really thin. I have a few OEGBs that are molting now too, but they're not losing the weight like the RIR's.
As far as treats, we give them mostly mealworms, extra BOSS and table scraps. What could some extra protein be for them?
And they haven't been wormed, but wouldn't worms affect the other members of our flock too? And they haven't shown any sign of worms.

Nutrena ~~Feather Fixer Poultry Feed. or lots of other meat protein.

Consider adding extra feeding stations so chickens lower in the pecking order have sufficient access to feed
Avoid handling if possible (exposed skin and regrowing feathers are tender)
If you have a rooster, consider segregating him while your flock is in molt so he does not further irritate exposed skin during mating
http://www.nutrenaworld.com/products/poultry/naturewise-poultry/feather-fixer/

Last edited:
It can be worrying when your chicken has lost most of its feathers, the above advice is great. The only thing i'd say to you is dont dogs/cats etc look much skinnier when they are wet ;-)

So the hair/fur can really decieve you as to how fat your pet is, and its pretty much the same with chickens!

So its proberbly nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom