Advice Needed - Intestinal shedding/Worms/Cocci?

tarahharlin

Songster
9 Years
Dec 29, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
My Coop
My Coop
I have a Jersey Giant hen that will be 3 years old this May. She had started laying again at the end of January after her molt/winter break, laid for a few weeks and then has stopped now for a few weeks. This past weekend, I started to notice what appeared to look like intestinal shedding in her poop, however I've been noticing it daily and several times throughout the day, which I know is not normal, or at least not normal for her. On Tuesday, I decided to deworm her with her first dose of Valbazen, since that's what I have on hand. It's been a few days and those poops are still occurring. She seems to be acting normal...eating, drinking and doing regular chicken things. Her abdomen feels good and her crop has been good every morning.
I've never seen this to this degree before and everyone else in the flock has normal looking poops. My question is...is there anything else I should treat her for? Should I go ahead and also treat everyone for Cocci?
I'm thinking I'll also get a sample from her to try and take in for testing.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1845.jpg
    IMG_1845.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 19
That is quite a bit of bloody material. If you can get results of a fecal float today, that would be good. Otherwise I would get Corid and start treatment for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. That is usually more common in young chickens, but can happen in older birds if exposed to a large amount. Make sure that your coop bedding is dry, and clean often. Add new bedding when needed.

That is quite a bit of bloody material. If you can get results of a fecal float today, that would be good. Otherwise I would get Corid and start treatment for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. That is usually more common in young chickens, but can happen in older birds if exposed to a large amount. Make sure that your coop bedding is dry, and clean often. Add new bedding when needed.
Thanks for your reply! I do have Corid on hand, so I'll get them all started on that today and I'll also try and get a sample in today/tomorrow. Their coop bedding is totally dry and I do clean up daily in there, so it is pretty clean. Their run is also covered and dry. However, there are other areas of our yard that have been more wet from snow melt, so maybe that's it.
Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply! I do have Corid on hand, so I'll get them all started on that today and I'll also try and get a sample in today/tomorrow. Their coop bedding is totally dry and I do clean up daily in there, so it is pretty clean. Their run is also covered and dry. However, there are other areas of our yard that have been more wet from snow melt, so maybe that's it.
Thanks again.
Make sure the fecal sample is fresh when you take it to get tested. Keep in mind that's it's normal to have a few coccidia oocysts on the microscopic slide. However if the slide is loaded with oocysts, then there is a problem with coccidiosis. After 5-7 days treatment with Corid and if you're still seeing blood in feces, you'll need to use a sulfa drug to treat your JG hen, sulfadimethoxine or SMZ-TMP.
There shouldnt be many worm eggs on the slide since you dosed her with Valbazen. After the second dosing, there shouldnt be any eggs at all.

Make sure the fecal sample is fresh when you take it to get tested. Keep in mind that's it's normal to have a few coccidia oocysts on the microscopic slide. However if the slide is loaded with oocysts, then there is a problem with coccidiosis. After 5-7 days treatment with Corid and if you're still seeing blood in feces, you'll need to use a sulfa drug to treat your JG hen, sulfadimethoxine or SMZ-TMP.
There shouldnt be many worm eggs on the slide since you dosed her with Valbazen. After the second dosing, there shouldnt be any eggs at all.
Thanks and will do! Is the sulfa drug something you have to get from a vet?

Back
Top Bottom