Advice Needed On The Use Of Sulfadimethoxine

MarcoPollo

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2012
Hot Coffee, MS
Does anyone know the withdrawal time of Sulfadimethoxine (Albon)? If hens were treated with this product, can their eggs be eaten and how soon after the last treatment?

Hello, my flock was mixed ages, from 2 months to 3 years old. We eat the eggs as well as give them to family. Yes the vet I went to told me it was ok and sold me the meds. He knew my flock was mixed ages and knows that we eat the eggs. He just said to toss the eggs for 21 days but then we could start eating them again. Hope this helps!

After an outbreak in my flock I have been looking around for information about Sulfadimethoxine use in hens over 16 weeks. The packaging says it should not be used on them, however there are research papers online that shed light on residual antibiotics in eggs. Here is the one I found that seems to be very clear on the withdrawal time and use in adult hens:

"Sulphonamide residues in eggs following drug administration via the drinking water.
Roudaut B1, Garnier M.
Author information

Abstract

The aim was to determine concentrations of sulphadimidine (SDM) and sulphadimethoxine (SDT) in eggs following oral administration through drinking water for 5 days (0.5 g l(-1) for SDT, 1 and 2 g l(-1) for SDM). Residues of sulphonamides in albumen and yolk were monitored by high-performance liquid chromatography with UV detection. The limit of quantification was 0.005 microg g(-1) for the two egg components. The results indicate that 0.9-1.4% of the dose administered was deposited in eggs. Maximum concentrations in albumen were much higher than those in yolk. More than 75% of the overall sulphonamides detected in eggs was concentrated in the albumen. The residue levels declined below the limit of quantification within 12-20 days for albumen and 14-15 days for yolk after treatment was discontinued.
PMID: 11962695 DOI: 10.1080/02652030110102836"

So 21 days would be the amount of time not to eat eggs, and your hen's eggs should be safe to eat after. Google scholar is a GREAT resource for looking at real research - type "Scholar" into the Google search bar, search on the topic, and then when you see a title that seems relevant, read the abstract and the results sections - that is where they summarize the findings.

After an outbreak in my flock I have been looking around for information about Sulfadimethoxine use in hens over 16 weeks. The packaging says it should not be used on them, however there are research papers online that shed light on residual antibiotics in eggs. Here is the one I found that seems to be very clear on the withdrawal time and use in adult hens:

"Sulphonamide residues in eggs following drug administration via the drinking water.
Roudaut B1, Garnier M.
Author information

Abstract

The aim was to determine concentrations of sulphadimidine (SDM) and sulphadimethoxine (SDT) in eggs following oral administration through drinking water for 5 days (0.5 g l(-1) for SDT, 1 and 2 g l(-1) for SDM). Residues of sulphonamides in albumen and yolk were monitored by high-performance liquid chromatography with UV detection. The limit of quantification was 0.005 microg g(-1) for the two egg components. The results indicate that 0.9-1.4% of the dose administered was deposited in eggs. Maximum concentrations in albumen were much higher than those in yolk. More than 75% of the overall sulphonamides detected in eggs was concentrated in the albumen. The residue levels declined below the limit of quantification within 12-20 days for albumen and 14-15 days for yolk after treatment was discontinued.
PMID: 11962695 DOI: 10.1080/02652030110102836"

So 21 days would be the amount of time not to eat eggs, and your hen's eggs should be safe to eat after. Google scholar is a GREAT resource for looking at real research - type "Scholar" into the Google search bar, search on the topic, and then when you see a title that seems relevant, read the abstract and the results sections - that is where they summarize the findings.
Welcome to BYC @MaevesFLock, excellent find there!:bow

My info came out of a compendium. It never addressed the fitness of the eggs after medicating the hens just not to give it after 16 weeks. If more information is not included with the packaging, I'd call up the drug company or look on their website for more. The curious part is why is it OK only up to 16 weeks? They are born with all their ova so if the medication becomes part of it, it would happen no matter when you give it. At a minimum you toss the eggs for now.

As are the females of all species...

How can they not have follow up studies on the drug when they make those statements about use in older hens?

As long as you don't have a sensitivity to sulfa drugs, there shouldn't be a problem. Sulthadimethoxine is used in human treatment of infections so it's not going to kill you. It is a folic acid (B9) inhibitor so I might be tempted to add some to the layer feed (you can find horse vitamin supplements in a powdered form).

Guess that means you girls made it.

I know own this is an old thread but I ran across it and wanted to add that my vet prescribed this drug to my flock yesterday. Although it's an off lable use its safe to give to adult birds. The egg withdrawal is 21 days.

I know this is an older thread but our vet just prescribed it to our entire flock after a farm visit which at the time had everywhere from a ouple week old chick to hens laying fertile eggs and pullets and everything inbetween. I forgot to ask egg withdrawal though that's why I came across this thread.

Being it is an old thread, I will comment.

I would cull any bird this sick. I do not treat my birds with any medicine. One needs to be very careful with drugs, and guessing and by golly, is not a good idea. You have healthier flocks if you do not treat with medicine.

Feed well, clean water, no herbal remedies, no weird things in water, ample space and healthy birds. Keep unhealthy birds out of your flock, ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom