Advice needed, please! I'm not a beginner but this has me stumped 🤔😟

I understand Diatomacious Earth (DE) would help w/the parasites on the outside; mites, lice etc. For me I would spread a generous amount where they tend to dust bathe. For the rest I would be as lost as you are!
I think I would butcher most or all of the roosters, or give them to someone to butcher. They are not needed and culling them will help the health of the entire flock

I understand Diatomacious Earth (DE) would help w/the parasites on the outside; mites, lice etc. For me I would spread a generous amount where they tend to dust bathe. For the rest I would be as lost as you are!
I think I would butcher most or all of the roosters, or give them to someone to butchers. They are not needed and culling them will help the health of the entire flock
We're on the same page about the roosters, all the way. At this point, the..."coyotes"....have kindly taken all but 5 of the bachelor roosters, it's a touchy situation unfortunately. 😕
I'm finally making progress though!! Thank you everyone!
If anyone has anything else, I'm all ears!

Update!
My chickens are thriving, our fences are holding, and as long as I make sure to feed the PLC's, they stay away. A few of my chickens had mild cases of Scaly leg mites, and so I treated everyone. Nu-stock on the legs, soaks in warm epsom salt water, scrub with a tooth brush. ♥️🙏 I'm starting Corid tomorrow..... 🤞

@Henhouse Harlot You have gotten some great information. I personally would not use D. E.. I don't like what it does to the respiratory system in both chickens and people.
Please keep us up dated. You can coat the legs with vasoline to rid the chickens of scaly leg mights. Do this at night for all of your chickens and I would suggest you do the same for your next door neighbor.
Would it be easier to just combine the two flocks? It sounds like it might be the best idea if you are going to continue to care for them. Do they seem to have other issues?
God Bless you for all your selflessness and care you are giving them.
Everyone who complains about how others take care of their flock and then do nothing to help.
It is just sad and I wanted you to know, I for one, feel inspired by you

I'm blushing down to my toes, thank you for your kind words!! 🥰 As I write this, one of the many "rescues" we've adopted is peeping softly, happily, in my lap. In my mind, the little pullet with the broken leg is hopping gamely after my son, cheeping happily. (She now has a forever home with my father, a wildlife biologist). These beautiful birds depend on people to care for them, and sometimes those people let them down. In this case, I know the current owner very well. Her mother was the chicken person on the farm, and she was a genius with horses. Her Mother died in April 2022, and now the chickens just .....exist.
Combination of the flocks is my eventual goal, but first, those coyotes need to clear out a few more excess roosters! My own rooster has had his...er....wings full? Lol
Things will keep getting better ♥️
Thank you everyone!
(DE freaks me out because of the dust thing...😳)

P.S. Getting close to these chickens during the day is proving difficult, Tuesday night I'm going to be catching a few and I'll take pictures/apply Vaseline then 👍🙏

UPDATE! I'm going to post this on the Oregon thread, as well.
JUST HATCHED RESCUED CHICKS NEED GOOD HOME!!!
I can drive as far North as Vancouver, WA. I'm in the Salem area.

Attachments

• IMG_20220709_143132467.jpg
    IMG_20220709_143132467.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220709_142959066.jpg
    IMG_20220709_142959066.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220709_143025680.jpg
    IMG_20220709_143025680.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 4
I have learned that you can add both ACV (apple cider vinegar) and iodine to chickens' water to boost their immune systems.
I really hope you're able to help these poor birds!

As kind hearted as you are, I'd do some careful introspection that you are not enabling a hoarding situation. Your friend may need therapy, it sure sounds like she can't emotionally handle any of this, and she has shown herself unable to care for them. With such high numbers and constant reproduction this could still spiral out of your control.
If I were in your shoes I would organize a rooster cull. Get some friends to help. Round them up with feed or while they're roosting.
Then rehome the healthiest hens with full disclosure. You can rescue all those girls you can't rehome and hopefully that won't be more than you can handle long term.

If it gets too bad, please don't be afraid to call in animal control. You are a concerned friend and not to blame, and professionals have some experience helping hoarders.

Back
Top Bottom