1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MissNutmeg, Feb 8, 2017.

1. MissNutmeg

MissNutmeg Chillin' With My Peeps

So, this morning I noticed one of my RIR hens missing. I searched until I spotted a pile of brown feathers in the backyard. I looked a bit farther and found more piles of brown feathers in the woods. I realized it's too late, she must have been killed and dragged away.

Anyway, One of my buff orpinton hens seem to have taken a beating. There is a nasty gash in her neck, I'm not exactly sure what to do. Only that I rinsed it out and applied triple antibiotic ointment, then wrapped some fresh gauze loosely around. I'm not exactly sure how she may have gotten injured only by connecting it to the missing hen I'm thinking maybe a fox or a cat might've attacked her.

2. MissNutmeg

Is there anything else I should be doing?

3. LittlePip21

LittlePip21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2017
    Maybe double check her to make sure there aren't any more injuries, with all those feathers it can be hard to tell. not much more I can think of, other than giving her some ACV in her water.. maybe someone with more experience than me would know?

4. MissNutmeg

No other injuries except the gash on her neck.

5. LittlePip21

LittlePip21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2017
    oh good! I hope she gets better! sorry I could't be more helpful.

6. MissNutmeg

It's fine.

7. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Keep doing what your doing.Seperate her from the flock and put her in a small dog kennel somewhere warm and quiet. If she was attacked by a predator(Im leaning towards a hawk/eagle) she would probably be traumatized and anorexic if that's the case you will need to provide her water via eye dropper or 3cc syringe or if you want to go a step further you can try tube feeding her.Offer her eggs and tuna as well as giving water.Keep her separated until it heals.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. MissNutmeg

I failed to mention that the wound did not bleed at all.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  9. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Pic's?

10. MissNutmeg

********Warning-Graphic pic*********

She is eating and drinking, still her normal self, just a bit more cautious.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by