Advice Needed

MissNutmeg

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Jan 18, 2017
Middle Earth
My Coop
My Coop
So, this morning I noticed one of my RIR hens missing. I searched until I spotted a pile of brown feathers in the backyard. I looked a bit farther and found more piles of brown feathers in the woods. I realized it's too late, she must have been killed and dragged away.

Anyway, One of my buff orpinton hens seem to have taken a beating. There is a nasty gash in her neck, I'm not exactly sure what to do. Only that I rinsed it out and applied triple antibiotic ointment, then wrapped some fresh gauze loosely around. I'm not exactly sure how she may have gotten injured only by connecting it to the missing hen I'm thinking maybe a fox or a cat might've attacked her.

Maybe double check her to make sure there aren't any more injuries, with all those feathers it can be hard to tell. not much more I can think of, other than giving her some ACV in her water.. maybe someone with more experience than me would know?

Maybe double check her to make sure there aren't any more injuries, with all those feathers it can be hard to tell. not much more I can think of, other than giving her some ACV in her water.. maybe someone with more experience than me would know?
No other injuries except the gash on her neck.

Keep doing what your doing.Seperate her from the flock and put her in a small dog kennel somewhere warm and quiet. If she was attacked by a predator(Im leaning towards a hawk/eagle) she would probably be traumatized and anorexic if that's the case you will need to provide her water via eye dropper or 3cc syringe or if you want to go a step further you can try tube feeding her.Offer her eggs and tuna as well as giving water.Keep her separated until it heals.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom