advice needed .

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by greekbioguy, Jan 3, 2011.

1. greekbioguy

greekbioguy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2010
    hallo everybody .happy new year and best wishes !
    it is geting cold in greece its around 0 celcius at night
    my mandarins and wood ducks seem to enjoy the cold. i am curently finishing my chicken house am geting 4 brahma chicks (i rooster 3 hens)in around two months, i have a 3,5x 2,5 m well protected area as their run conected to a nest area 1,5m x 75 x 1m is bulit by bricks . today i bulted them a wooden dust bath ( size 70cm x 70 cm x 25 cm will lay it with 10-15 cm of fine sand) and two wooden nest boxes (size 45cm x 52cm x 45 cm) that i will place one on top of the other and lay them with wood shavings and use dry dwarf papyrus to form the ring where the hens will lay (i do the same for my pheasants and the eggs stay centered and dont roll around under the hens).
    i need some advice about my chicken house work for tomorow. i would be very gratefull if anybody can give me some advice on the following matters:
    1 the opening that conects the run to the nests is 25cm wide x 34cm tall . can a large brahma fit through an opening like that? it is built by cement and it is nicely decorated but i made so i can unmake and remake it if needed
    2 i need to make roosts for the birds but i finding out that brahmas cant fly very high can anybody tell me how high i need to make the roosts?
    will post photos when everything is painted and in place.
    thank u all in advance

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. crazeetxn

crazeetxn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    West Texas
    Welcome to the forum! And a Happy New Year to you as well...

Can't help you on the size of the door, but as far as getting them on the perch:

I have a 1 winged hen that I built a ladder (1x6 board with cleats about every 5" or so) that she climbs up and roosts. If she's not in the mood though, she just lays on the ground.

Eventually, I'm going to build her her own nesting box and roost close to the ground, but for now, she adapts pretty good.

Good luck and look forward to seeing the pics...

Troy

3. jcbydesign

jcbydesign Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Hello! Welcome! I love your country! So beautiful but sounds sooo cold - much prefer it in the summer. [​IMG]

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Greekbioguy - the openings are plenty big enough! May be too big! I hung strips of cloth over the entrance to my nest boxes so the hens feel hidden. The roost can be quite low to the ground if the hen can't fly. If you put it at about 15 - 20 cm, she can probably hop up there on her own.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  5. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Plenty big. [​IMG]

6. greekbioguy

Dec 25, 2010
    thank u all for you mesages .i am glad i will not have to destroy the cement and brick door after i painted the wall. i know about the litle laders i use one for a nest box because one of my pairs of ducks is wing cliped . i will buit one for the top chicken nest box too because i am not sure how easy it will be for a hen to jump 50cm posibly on a nest full of eggs in the future. i keep searching about brahmas on the net and it seems the cant jump over 3 feet fences so i guess their roosts have to be lower than 3 feet .

7. greekbioguy

Dec 25, 2010
    i have pictures of my new chicken house how can i post them?

8. brounii

brounii Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Jonesborough, TN
  9. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    [​IMG] from California!

As for your roosts, you need a ladder work system for them to get up on them. Mine roost in the rafters!!!

10. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Quote:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by