Advice needed....

Riocotesei

Songster
11 Years
Aug 15, 2008
N.Texas
I need some advice, another chick has hatched and the other 2 that were first born are pecking at him. It doen't seem like they're trying to help, it kinda seems like they are hungery. The Hum is up to 92% which I think is too high it could drown the eggs that have not hatched yet. Should I go in there and try to take the two oldest and fluffed up babies out? I don't want to mess up the hatch, but I don't want the one to get hurt or the other eggs not hatch.....

hmmmm.... thats a hard decision to make. I've been in that position where an early hatcher was causing damage to the other eggs by running them over etc. I made the decision to take him out.

If you choose to go that route... DO IT QUICKLY and try to keep as much humid air in there as possible.

I wait until they are fluffed. Then I quickly open up the bator from the top (I have an LG so the little windows are removable) and get the little fluffy butts out.
smile.png
That's just what I do.

Yeah I have a quick plan if I choose to do it.... the reason I'm even considering it is cause the hum is soo high I can stand to loose a little. The two I want to take out are fluffy but there are 5 other in the process, I don't know what to do!
barnie.gif

I take them out too when they become a problem.
If the other eggs though are real close to hatching, like partway opend or whatever I would wait a little bit to give them a chance.
If it seems like they are going to be a while I would open it real quick and grab those babies.
Good luck with the rest of your hatch.

Thanks for helping the newby
big_smile.png

I've decided to do it, but I'm going to make sure the brooder is at the right temp.
Is 92 good? It's suppose to be 95 though huh?

I took the two out and they're doing good. That started eating food right away so I think they were hungry. Woo it's a frightening thrill to take them out like that.
jumpy.gif

I take all my babies out after they hatch, sometimes when they are still wet (don't tell!
wink.png
) I had one chick once that was probably almost 2 days old in the brooder, and put a newly hatched baby in with it. The older one started pecking almost immediately. They are omnivorous, which means meat and veggie eaters, and they are attracted to the color red. Well this little chick's fluff wasn't fluffing very well, so some of it's pink skin was showing. That's what the older chick was trying to get. Now, I always fluff my babies with a towel before putting them in with older chicks. But I haven't had any problems with it hurting the others that are hatching when I take the baby out. Heck, mine have all hatched early so far. One night, I was sitting on the floor candling the eggs, and heard a peep!! The eggs were all still in the turner, it was only about day 18, and I had 5 pips!! Everyone of them hatched with no problems. And I had the top off the bator for about 5-10 minutes!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom