Advice of making a "Breeding Coop"

kimb

Songster
13 Years
Nov 30, 2009
New Hampshire
I have inherited a small coop (about 6x9) and was thinking of making breeding cages in it so I'm looking for suggestions/advice to do or what not to do
smile.png
... what worked - what didn't etc. . .

In addition to breeding pens - in the off season I'm thinking about separating the roos I keep and letting one out with the ladies to free range a day or week ... etc. (haven't really thought through it yet).

so here's what I have to work with: (I used "paint" program - so be imaginative)

chickencoo.jpg

I'm thinking along the lines of a pen on either side of the door (maybe even 2 or 3 pens high ( and the higher pens could be just for individual roos ) until it's their turn

here's what I'm thinking (same thing on the "blue" side ... as there is on the "red" )

chickencoopinside.jpg

but I haven't really planned food/waters or flooring ... and the front/back won't actually be wire - they'll be the solid walls of the shed.

and the bottom pens will have doors to open up into their outside pens (not quite sure how I'm going to do that either - probably a pully that will open/shut the doors because I won't be able to reach in and open/close them) ... and they will have separate pens out the back.

Last edited:
What kind of chickens do you plan on housing in the pens? Depending on how tall the birds are will determin how many you can build. Also think about that you will have to clean out the pens to keep from having problems with sickness. You can use wood or wire for the floors of the pens. If you use wire you can line it with paper and cover it with pine or cedar shavings. This will make it more sanitary. A regular store bought feeder and waterer will work fine, or you can invest into feeders made like a rabbit feeders. They also make waterers the fit onto a coke bottle.

Coke Bottle Waterer
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/soft_drink_bottle_waterer.html

Feeder ( Solid Bottom One)
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/feeder_with_metal_bottom.html

Thats a good idea, you only have to build 1 run and then build ramps so when its their turn in the yard then you just open the door and attatch the ramp and then leave the door open for airflow in the day and then shoo them back into their cage and then let the next ones out!!
smile.png
i know its complicated and a bad idea, but thats my idea!!

What kind of chickens do you plan on housing in the pens?

I have the potential to have:

LF Cochins
Bantam Cochins
D'uccles
Silkies

Right now everyone free ranges together but the Roos are starting to get in tiffs in the morning - come afternoon they all divide but I have to play mediator in the am and it's getting a little old...

With this set up - I could use the middle isle as an extension to one of the bottom cages (or even open the doors and have the entire bottom 1 large cage).

I really like the water & feeder from the outside - that'll keep 'em up off the ground and easy to change/refill daily.

For floors - I was thinking of using trays (like pull out drawers) - they wouldn't be on wire, I'd using shavings or pellets in the drawers and I would have to remove the birds to clean the floors. but I'd probably use the board that is really slippery/non-stick.

Thats a good idea, you only have to build 1 run and then build ramps so when its their turn in the yard then you just open the door and attatch the ramp and then leave the door open for airflow in the day and then shoo them back into their cage and then let the next ones out!! smile i know its complicated and a bad idea, but thats my idea!!

I might do that with ramps up to the 2nd level (in case I wanted to make those more than just individual roo pens) ... but I won't bother with the top cages.

There is a large window in the back so that will allow air. I think I'll put in vents in both side of the roof also. and I can leave the door open all day or even make a "screen" door in case I use the middle as another separate pen.
smile.png

But I think I'm still going to have 2 separate pens (+ my free range coop/chickens) because I can't make any guarantees that I can be around to cycle everyone out in turns every day
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom