Advice on benifits of getting goats please!

Quote:
Honestly, you could build a pen yourself. We used a post pounder, metal t-posts and welded wire cattle panels. I did my fair share since they are MY goats.

My dh wasn't thrilled about the goats, but I catch him playing with them once in a while. And I never have to ask him twice to bottle feed the babies
big_smile.png

Would chicken wire work just as good? I have a ton of that left over and was just wondering.How high should the fence be? He's always saying to me,"You and your dang animals".Can't help it, I just love em! One of my sons and daughter is taking after me and son asked for a cow after spending the day at a farm and milking one.He said "Ma why don't we get a cow so then we wont run outa milk" I love kids! I tell my husband it's all about being self sufficient and teaching our kids good values in life!
wink.png

Quote:
NO! Sorry to yell. Do your fencing right the first time, you'll be glad you did. We tried three different types of fencing BEFORE the welded wire cattle panels and it just wasn't sturdy enough. Goats love to climb on their fencing, or just stand on it and stick their heads over. It was an expensive lesson, several times over.

Our fence is at 48". We don't have trouble keeping them contained with that (as long as we remember to latch the gate).

Quote:
There is so much conflicting advice out there, your best bet is to jump in with both feet and figure out what works for you.

Basic requirements of goats:

draft/moisture free shelter (goats hate to get wet, walk in the mud, etc)
GOOD sturdy fencing
Good quality hay (for dry animals we feed grass/alfalfa mix, does in milk get straight alfalfa)
plenty of fresh water

Everything else is mostly a case by case basis, with no hard and fast rules.

Kinda what I'm use to doing.Learn as you go basicaly.People around here think I'm a chicken expert.HA! I learn more and more each day but certainly no expert.
I'm gonna check Tractor Supply to see about the fencing.Thanks so much for all the tips!

Quote:
It can happen! Mine used to be nothing but a muscle head. He loved old cars,racing, his 1969 chevelle
sickbyc.gif
. I turned him though! His car has been in the garage for two years sitting quietly and you know where he is today??? In our back field on our tractor diggin me a duck pond!
wee.gif

He traded his love of his car for the love of a tractor!!!
ep.gif

(Plus he loves my chickens and he raised pigs last year.)
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom