Advice on duck egg not internally pipped

Duck Witch Farm

In the Brooder
May 15, 2022
This is my first post but I have used this site many times for past advice. I have 3 duck eggs. 2 hatched within 12 hours of each other. I have one more that I do not believe has internally pipped yet. It is still alive but I am not sure if There is anything I can do or if I should just leave it and hope it still does?

Thank you. Not rude at all. I used a tracker app so I would not forget😆. There was some variance since one that did already hatch was stored on the counter for a couple of days prior, so I expected it may hatch first, which it did. The other 2 were laid and collected the same day and the other hatched less than 12 hours after the first one. I am sure my incubator does have variances based on other hatches. I will wait it out for the 24 hours before looking at making a safety hole. Thank you for the confirmation on not doing it before it internally pips.

🤞

Here is the baby. The hole has still not closed but does look like it is starting to scab over. She is very active and eating and drinking now. I have her by herself for now but we are taking shifts holding her and being with her until she can go in with the others. She is a Swedish blue and mallard mix.

Attachments

• 748C0CD0-2FBD-48F9-8431-5CF17327E4BF.jpeg
    748C0CD0-2FBD-48F9-8431-5CF17327E4BF.jpeg
    475.1 KB · Views: 3
Yes 24 hours is kind of a general guideline for making a safe hole after an internal pip. (For future reference, there is zero benefit to making a safe hole prior to internal pip). Hopefully it will externally pip on its own shortly. :fl
-As far as the delay, I assume you set the eggs at the same time. Are you positive on the day count? Maybe the others were a bit early? (Don’t mean to sound rude, I’ve miscounted more times than I’d admit. Lol)
-Is there any possibility a hen jump-started the eggs by sitting on them any length of time?
-any temp fluctuations to the eggs prior to putting into the incubator? Excess cold/warm temperatures outside, etc.
- possible warm/cool spots in the incubator.
- just natural egg variations.

So many possibilities! Lol
Don’t count it out until you are absolutely positive it is dead, no matter how late it may be.

Good luck!

This is my first post but I have used this site many times for past advice. I have 3 duck eggs. 2 hatched within 12 hours of each other. I have one more that I do not believe has internally pipped yet. It is still alive but I am not sure if There is anything I can do or if I should just leave it and hope it still does?
Not all babies hatch at the same time
I had a batch going at a school and first baby hatched Tuesday and last one one Thursday there was 5 eggs
There can be cool and warm spots in bator that cause slight delays
I would leave baby be

Still no internal pip. It has been 72 hours since the last ones pipped and 24 hours since the last one hatched. I am not sure if it is alive anymore. I am unable to see movement now. 🙁

Back
Top Bottom