advice on getting my silkie chick to stop pecking freckles?

gabykatherine

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Hey guys, since you were so helpful last time I had a question, I thought id try again and see if any experts knew what to do about those freckle-pecking chicks! One of my baby silkies is so sweet and loves attention and being held and absolutely isn't trying to hurt me, but she won't give up on trying to peck every single freckle/mole on my arms and legs. She's not mean and doesn't peck at anything else. My aunt with completely clear arms has no problem holding her for hours and not getting pecked at. But I have about 20 little freckles on my arms and legs and she won't give up on trying to eat them. I know she thinks they're food and I try to yell NO when she does it and sometimes will tap her on the beak, but it's been a week of this and she isn't getting the memo that I'm not chicken feed. I didn't think it was much of a problem until my little 10 year old brother was cuddling her today and she launched herself at his freckled faced and pecked a spot on his chin hard enough to make him squeal. Sometimes it really does hurt and I'm getting pretty tired of it. She's still a little baby so I'm wondering if you guys think she'll grow out of it in time? Or if there's a way to discipline her or at least make my freckles less appealing for her.
Thanks so much!

Welcome to BYC! So glad you joined us. :)

The problem you have sounds pretty normal for chicks. I know my chicks peck anything on me that isn't normal skin color, but it sounds like your are particularly interested in that...

Perhaps face masks and long sleeved shirts would remove the skin, thus remove the problem?

It's normal behavior. My speckled Sussex used to spend a great deal of time pecking at a dot on the brooder wall. Hey, you never know, the 1,000,000th time, it might be a bug!

The good news is that they do eventually learn that it isn't a bug and so there is hope that the obsession won't last forever.

Hey guys, since you were so helpful last time I had a question, I thought id try again and see if any experts knew what to do about those freckle-pecking chicks! One of my baby silkies is so sweet and loves attention and being held and absolutely isn't trying to hurt me, but she won't give up on trying to peck every single freckle/mole on my arms and legs. She's not mean and doesn't peck at anything else. My aunt with completely clear arms has no problem holding her for hours and not getting pecked at. But I have about 20 little freckles on my arms and legs and she won't give up on trying to eat them. I know she thinks they're food and I try to yell NO when she does it and sometimes will tap her on the beak, but it's been a week of this and she isn't getting the memo that I'm not chicken feed. I didn't think it was much of a problem until my little 10 year old brother was cuddling her today and she launched herself at his freckled faced and pecked a spot on his chin hard enough to make him squeal. Sometimes it really does hurt and I'm getting pretty tired of it. She's still a little baby so I'm wondering if you guys think she'll grow out of it in time? Or if there's a way to discipline her or at least make my freckles less appealing for her.
Thanks so much!
My new little BPR started doing this on my arms and face. Ouch! I'm glad you had already asked.. I will wait for her to outgrow this habit!

You should really not let them too close to your face. My daughter, when she was five (she is now 13), got her eyeball pecked by a chick. Luckily no damage. But they are very curious about shiny things that move!
I have a cochin pullet now that not only pecks the freckles on my arm, but tries to grab them and pull them off.🤣

Back
Top Bottom