Advice on incubated egg - is it viable?

Pics

VlkStinu

Songster
Aug 6, 2020
Czech Republic
Hi everyone!

I decided to try and incubate two chicken eggs (in addition to adopting chickens from an industrial poultry house) - it's my first time and as I have no experience in candling eggs, I was wondering if I could ask you for an advice on whether this egg - Welsumer breed - is viable. The other egg I have is of Ayam cemani and as the eggshell is white, it's much easier to read. And it's clearly doing well. But with the Welsumer egg, which is spotted and brown, I just can't decide whether everything is going well or not. It's a 7th day of the incubation. My guess is that something is rather off. I don't see any veins or anything in particular and the Ayam cemani egg in comparison is clearly way more developed (there is a large dark red area and smaller light area). But maybe it's just the color of the eggshell, that masks it off? What do you think? The third picture is the egg of Ayam cemani just for comparison.

Attachments

• C17E2AC6-F933-4954-B954-E912B2AFE939.jpeg
    C17E2AC6-F933-4954-B954-E912B2AFE939.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 6F653A2C-07B6-449F-815C-05F6B5E770E1.jpeg
    6F653A2C-07B6-449F-815C-05F6B5E770E1.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 33
  • E1FAFD5B-8FFD-434F-81D9-1243CE3B2454.jpeg
    E1FAFD5B-8FFD-434F-81D9-1243CE3B2454.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 33
Hi everyone!

I decided to try and incubate two chicken eggs (in addition to adopting chickens from an industrial poultry house) - it's my first time and as I have no experience in candling eggs, I was wondering if I could ask you for an advice on whether this egg - Welsumer breed - is viable. The other egg I have is of Ayam cemani and as the eggshell is white, it's much easier to read. And it's clearly doing well. But with the Welsumer egg, which is spotted and brown, I just can't decide whether everything is going well or not. It's a 7th day of the incubation. My guess is that something is rather off. I don't see any veins or anything in particular and the Ayam cemani egg in comparison is clearly way more developed (there is a large dark red area and smaller light area). But maybe it's just the color of the eggshell, that masks it off? What do you think? The third picture is the egg of Ayam cemani just for comparison.
Leave them all in until day 14 no matter what, just to be safe. Also, welcome to BYC! Are all 3 pics the same egg? The last pic looks like it may be viable. Where did you get these eggs?

Leave them all in until day 14 no matter what, just to be safe. Also, welcome to BYC! Are all 3 pics the same egg? The last pic looks like it may be viable. Where did you get these eggs?

Thank you! I was just reading several threads on the subject of candling Welsummer eggs and apparently it's really hard to see anything. That made me hopeful! So I will let the egg incubate and I will see if there is any change on day 11-12 when I will be candling again. :)

The third picture is a different egg - white shelled Ayam cemani, just for comparison. :) But after reading on the subject, I understand that you can't really compare these two.

They are both from a local seller ( I am from Czech Republic :))

Thank you! I was just reading several threads on the subject of candling Welsummer eggs and apparently it's really hard to see anything. That made me hopeful! So I will let the egg incubate and I will see if there is any change on day 11-12 when I will be candling again. :)

The third picture is a different egg - white shelled Ayam cemani, just for comparison. :) But after reading on the subject, I understand that you can't really compare these two.

They are both from a local seller ( I am from Czech Republic :))
Ohhh, ok gotcha. I wouldn't get your hopes up too high yet, because they might just be duds, but I'll cross my fingers they're not! Keep me updated!

Hi there! I got an update on the egg. The Ayam cemani egg visibly progressed, most of the egg is so dark that the light even doesn't go through - so that's where the chick is. But the Welsumer seems to be still the same visually. I the dark part is still the same size (I think) and imagined that by this time, the inside of the egg would be filled and dark as the other egg, right? The dark part that I am seeing is moving around when I am turning the egg. Could that be yolk? Maybe the egg was infertile from the start? The question is what do I do now. Should I dispose of it so it doesn't explode or is there still some chance? I have no experience with this, but by day 12, I would imagine the egg to look differently during candling. What do you think?

Attachments

• 91BF36C0-7D0A-43A3-9849-29211D178CE0.jpeg
    91BF36C0-7D0A-43A3-9849-29211D178CE0.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 27
Hi there! I got an update on the egg. The Ayam cemani egg visibly progressed, most of the egg is so dark that the light even doesn't go through - so that's where the chick is. But the Welsumer seems to be still the same visually. I the dark part is still the same size (I think) and imagined that by this time, the inside of the egg would be filled and dark as the other egg, right? The dark part that I am seeing is moving around when I am turning the egg. Could that be yolk? Maybe the egg was infertile from the start? The question is what do I do now. Should I dispose of it so it doesn't explode or is there still some chance? I have no experience with this, but by day 12, I would imagine the egg to look differently during candling. What do you think?
I would wait until day 14 to pull any. It does look like a dud though. Can you post a pic of the Ayam Cemani?

I would wait until day 14 to pull any. It does look like a dud though. Can you post a pic of the Ayam Cemani?
What happens by day 14?
I tried the water candling technique on the egg and I've seen no movement whatsoever.

This is the Ayam cemani egg. There is barely anything visible, unlike last time. It was very dark.

Attachments

• 9178BD1E-11FE-4984-ADF5-D4526F349E33.jpeg
    9178BD1E-11FE-4984-ADF5-D4526F349E33.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 23
What happens by day 14?
I tried the water candling technique on the egg and I've seen no movement whatsoever.

This is the Ayam cemani egg. There is barely anything visible, unlike last time. It was very dark.
I think that one looks dead unfortunately. Do you see any veins/movement?
Float testing is not a good method. It's bad and unreliable. It can actually kill the eggs.

Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking - I had the headlamp on lowest intensity! I checked the Ayam cemani egg and I see veins and an embryo and it's clearly moving!

The other egg still looks the same though and I just see a darker round part that moves around the egg as I turn it - just like a yolk.

Attachments

• 0DC3DECF-E5C8-4ACE-8ED0-6FFC54BA6AF8.jpeg
    0DC3DECF-E5C8-4ACE-8ED0-6FFC54BA6AF8.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom