Advice on my cockerel.

Feb 20, 2021
Argentina
I have a cockerel who was born in December. Had our moments over time, mostly due to him being a typical teenager. Nothing wildly problematic.
Now my pullets are getting all grown up, one of them laid her first egg yesterday. :wee:celebrate

In the last week, he seems to be getting a bit different. Slightly uppity, Giving me the hairy eyeball on occasion and storms over in a huff, if a pullet so much as squeaks near me. At the same time, he is becoming much nicer to the pullets, calling them over for bugs, and paying lots more attention to them in general. He no longer barges them out of the way to get to treats and food, now he steps back to let them in.

In short, he really is starting to work out great for the little ladies, but I'm concerned he might be getting a bit hostile to me. Any tips you have that keep him off of my BBQ grill would be most appreciated.

P.S. I tried to find the thread where someone gave a course on making friends with a roo, but had no luck finding it. I would like tips on how to stay friends with my guy.

Attachments

• 20230629_170728.jpg
    20230629_170728.jpg
    619.4 KB · Views: 60
Giving me the hairy eyeball on occasion and storms over in a huff, if a pullet so much as squeaks near me.
Definitely don't reward that behavior directly (i.e. don't start throwing treats to make him go away) but don't become a threat either if he's just running over to give you a look. One of my three roos is quite high strung and does the same thing sometimes; fast movement in particular makes him react that way because. He has a hair trigger that sends him into action to help the hens - which is great for their protection, but it means if I'm trying to rush about it'll set him off guaranteed. It helps if I stand still and talk to him for a moment when he does that so he can figure out what's going on and go back to his business (or he'll switch gears and ask to be picked up; he's actually very friendly when he's not nervous).

Back
Top Bottom