Advice on selling eggs!

mommy of two

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
We want to get a rooster soon but my dad said he didn't think people would buy fertilized eggs to eat. Does anyone know if people mind fertilized eggs to eat or if you have to mention it when you sell them? Some one posted a pic of what a fertilized egg looks like opposed to an unfertilized one and I really couldn't tell the difference! We have 10 chickens so we are defiantly going to have more eggs than we can handle, so we want to sell them. Please give me advice! :)

I don't mention it and no one can tell the difference. In fact if they aren't left to sit in a hot nest box for a couple days there is no difference.
There are people that prefer fertile eggs. Whole foods and Trader Joes (high end food stores) sell fertile eggs clearly marked on the package.
Get yourself a roo to protect your flock.

My advice on roosters is to move slowly and bring treats. Roosters attack other roosters and predators. Other roosters don't bring treats and predators move fast.

Last edited:
I rarely have anyone ask if the eggs I sell them are fertile. Of the very few that ever have some wanted only unfertilized eggs while others wanted only the ones that were fertilized. Both together have never amounted to more than a percent or two of my total customers.

Good that makes me feel better! I actually think I might already have a rooster! One of my barred Plymouth Rocks looks like one! It's got tail feathers longer and more curved than the others, and its spiky thing on its head is much taller than the rest! We got all our chicks from Orschlens so they were supposed to be all girls! Is there a way to tell if its a rooster or not? They are almost 2 months old.

You answered your own question. The tail is longer and more curved, the wing and hackle feathers are pointier and the spikey thing on its head (called a comb) is much bigger, as are the wattles (the hangy things under the chin).

LOL! Yeah I'm not to educated on all the chicken terminology yet! :) I didn't think that the farm stores like Orschlens and tractor supply sold roosters though! Or do some get mixed in?

Hatcheries that supply chicks to those stores normally sex them but it's only about 95% accurate. It's a very difficult thing to do. Sometimes the bin with the chicks will say 'straight run' which means 'as they are hatched'. If it says 'pullets' they've been sexed. That's if the feed store employees or customers haven't mixed them up, which happens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom