Advice on shipping hatching eggs

LaurEliz

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 8, 2018
Central Illinois
I’m looking for advice on shipping hatching eggs. I have a customer wanting me to
Ship my eggs to her, but I’ve never done this before. Any tips to get them to arrive safely would be much appreciated. I’ve also never sent a package before and don’t really know much about that either, so if you have any tips about shipping in general,
I’d appreciate that too.

Thanks in advance!

First off, where is she located, and are you NPIP? I don't believe your legally allowed to ship hatching eggs unless you are NPIP. Just putting that out there.

Secondly, the very best hatch rate and success rate I've had with shipped hatching eggs (these came from Florida, I'm in Washington) was when the seller used egg cartons.
She placed paper towels in the cup of the carton so the eggs were nice and snug, these were bantam eggs so not sure if that will be necessary with standard eggs. Then she secured the egg carton tightly with packaging tape, after it had been packed with paper towels/bubble wrap. Than wrapped the egg carton with bubble wrap. Placing them all in a box and packing that snuggly so the cartons couldn't move much.
I hope this is helpful! Most of the eggs I got from this seller were in good condition. I got 5 chicks out of 15 eggs. Though I gave half to my broody and half in my incubator. My broody hatched 4/8 and I hatched 1/7.

I’m looking for advice on shipping hatching eggs. I have a customer wanting me to
Ship my eggs to her, but I’ve never done this before. Any tips to get them to arrive safely would be much appreciated. I’ve also never sent a package before and don’t really know much about that either, so if you have any tips about shipping in general,
I’d appreciate that too.

Thanks in advance!
If possible use the foam with egg inserts. Wrapping them in bubble wrap works well too. Be sure to pack the box with extra padding and fill the box so the eggs can not shift. Be sure the eggs can not bump against each other to avoid breakage. DO NOT USE EGG CARTONS.
Cost is about ten to fifteen dollars a dozen to shift; possibly a bit more depending on the size of the eggs. Once your done packing the eggs just take the box to your post office. Be sure to write clearly on the box.

DO NOT USE EGG CARTONS.
Just out of curiosity, why are egg cartons a bad idea? I can see that shifting would be a concern, but its free (if you use egg cartons from store eggs you've bought in the past, I know I have my stash) you get to reuse rather than throw them away, and as long as you pack them tightly it seemed to work well with my order.
Just wanted to know your opinion. :)

Just out of curiosity, why are egg cartons a bad idea? I can see that shifting would be a concern, but its free (if you use egg cartons from store eggs you've bought in the past, I know I have my stash) you get to reuse rather than throw them away, and as long as you pack them tightly it seemed to work well with my order.
Just wanted to know your opinion. :)
The few orders that came to me where the people used egg cartons arrived a mess; most of the eggs were broken. It is difficult to get the eggs secure enough for shipping using those store cartons. You will find it easier and better to use the foam or wrapped in bubble wrap and placed individually in the packing material. Shipped eggs need to be in something that absorbs the shocks of being moved/handled so the insides do not break and become addled. Cartons will not absorb shocks. Buyers will be very displeased should you ship the eggs in egg cartons from the stores.

I'm going to have to agree with @nchls school about not shipping in egg cartons, based on my experience as a recipient: I've had 2 shipments sent using that method from a nearby state and they arrived completely smashed. It was a horrible mess and the hatch rate was - as you can imagine - quite poor.

Double-boxed with generous padding and shipped in individual bubble wrap with lots of cushion (not air pillows, which can deflate en route) are a couple of the more-successful methods shippers have used in the past when sending my eggs. Of course, short of hand-delivering the eggs oneself, I'd now consider shipping eggs very risky from a damage standpoint.

One has to wonder how walmart gets their eggs from farm to store without being a scrambled up mess.
Greater care is taken with those eggs; even so, we've all bought eggs where some were damaged. Much of our postal system doesn't care and the machinery also makes for more damage. Those who deliver to Walmart wouldn't have their jobs long if the produce they haul were damaged on arrival.

Back
Top Bottom