Advice on what breeds to raise...

wjallen05

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
North Georgia
I'm affraid I've become chicken-obsessed...
ya.gif

I've been looking at every breed on McMurray... I want to raise chickens for eggs, for meat, and for fun. I plan on having several different chicken coops. So far now, I have a pair of lovable White Silkies whom I ADORE, and a small flock of egg-layers, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rocks, and 1 Easter Egger. (will be adding to that this weekend with a few more BRs and EEs) I think I have a BO cockerel. I want to get a BR rooster. Maybe some RIR hens and have some sex links? Oh and I've been searching high and low for White Leghorns but can't find anyone with any, so I plan on ordering some come spring.

And then for "pets" I like my Silkies but am wanting to get some more pet/Bantham type breeds. What would you guys recommend? Anyone know anything about Phoenix's? Are their tails really that long as shown on McMurray?

Last edited:
I absolutely love when people ask for our opinion!
You do know we will all have our own favorite!

My favorite is the Brahma (large & small) they have a Lovable personality!
Are the most kid friendly chicken I have ever had! & don't run when you go to pick them up!

they are great foragers

If eggs are important LF lights are better layers

Bantams lay often & a nice size egg
They do take longer to start laying maybe around 7 months!

this site might help
caf.gif

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

welcome-byc.gif

Anyone know anything about Phoenix's? Are their tails really that long as shown on McMurray?

Not if you get them from McMurray. Yes, some do have those long tails, but you will need to get with a breeder to get some with that kind of type.

Sumatra, Yokohama, Phoenix, and several others have very long beautiful tails if you get them from a good breeder.​

Old English Game Bantams!!! They rule!!! Yup that is what I raise. Liked the auracanas too but got tired of trying to figure out what they really were...easter eggers....americanas....whatever...they lay cool eggs!

Quote:
Yes you can eat bantam eggs. LF stands for large fowl (vs. bantams) or to put it another way a standard sized chicken.
Light is one of the three colors of brahmas typically available in the US; light, dark, and buff.
I agree with RChicks. I love my brahmas!
I've read quite a few negative things about BR roos, though I don't have any personal experience with them. Same goes for leghorn roos.

i bought from mcmurrays this year, and for the first time ever very dissappointed in them.. ..
my 18 blue andalusians only 3 of them were BLUE all the rest were black and a few white..
weak chickies.. high percentage loss from them this year...
ordered their green colored chick starter stuff,, never got it..
ect...
i also ordered from IDEAL.. i was much happier.. all chickie very strong and healthy.... my blue cochins were all BLUE (xcept one white) ... the OEG were mostly hens...

as for a few breeds to raise.. i am really liking my cuckoo marans (people think they are BR) and i love LOVE my ST blue cochins...

Quote:
I wanted to say something in regards to that in my original post, but was afraid people would jump all over me.
I've recently seen quite a few pics of brahmas that people got from McMurray and I wasn't even sure they were brahmas! They look nothing like my Ideal brahmas!
True, my brahmas are still hatchery stock but they at least look like the breed!
I love Ideal and all my chickens are extremely hardy and just all around great backyard birds.

Back
Top Bottom