Advice on where to put my broody

theminimizer

Songster
8 Years
Feb 25, 2013
I have a set of 5 one year old hens in one small 25 sqft coop and 150 foot run.
Then, I have another small 25 sq ft coop and 100 foot run with 6 12 week old chicks.
One of my year old Reds has decided to go broody ... again, so I plan to give her some fertile eggs tonight. My problem is, I don't know where to "isolate" her, so the other hens don't peck her (bottom of the pecking order).
Do you think if I put her in the coop with the 12 week olds, that she wouldn't be bothered since they aren't laying yet/ using the nesting boxes, and they are smaller, etc?
Or do you think a dog cage in the run would be smarter? If so, which run?
Last time we brought her into the garage, since it was winter, but this time I'd love her to be outside. :)

Thanks for any ideas/ insights! Love this community!

If it were me (but I don’t have much experience on the subject) I’d put her in the dog crate in the run with your hens
So, just in the dog crate on the floor of the run? Do I close the latch during the day and let her out to do her business or do I keep it open all day? Will the other girls bother her there?

So, just in the dog crate on the floor of the run? Do I close the latch during the day and let her out to do her business or do I keep it open all day? Will the other girls bother her there?

I'd keep her closed in there as she broods, she won't get up often anyways. If the door is open she will be bothered by other hens or bother other hens.

Back
Top Bottom