I put eggs under my broody

If hatching under a hen, I take babies away as soon as they hatch, so the hen can finish up her eggs. and if a hen is in a lay box to hatch out hens make sure the box is big enough for her to turn around in so she will not ever step on chicks. When all is hatched, I would move her to a bigger box for her and her chicks at night, so she doesn't end up pecking them.

I don't know what to do. Out of 4 eggs in the incubator two hatched and i immediately put the remaining two under the broody hen. Unfortunately it didn't hatched.

Now,shall i break her broodiness? Or put another hen eggs under her

I don't know what to do. Out of 4 eggs in the incubator two hatched and i immediately put the remaining two under the broody hen. Unfortunately it didn't hatched.

You could try putting the two chicks that hatched under your broody hen and see if she will accept and raise them. Otherwise I would give her fertile eggs to sit on. An extra couple of days/week shouldn’t affect things for her.

Is this for the hen that has been sitting less than a week? If so if you want more chicks give her fresh fertile eggs. If you don't want more chicks then it is time for a broody breaker.

You could try putting the two chicks that hatched under your broody hen and see if she will accept and raise them. Otherwise I would give her fertile eggs to sit on. An extra couple of days/week shouldn’t affect things for her.
Some hens will accept chicks after only sitting a few days, so I would definitely try to see if she would take the 2 chicks that have hatched. I

The next thing will be candling; any hints what is the best way, and what I am looking for?
Any advice on the whole process will be much appreciated.
Candling is relatively easy. You can use a flashlight/phone light in a dark room and place it on the fat side of the egg. If there are veins or such things like veins and it changes sizes ever day or two it is growing.
Good luck hatching!

I'd break the broodiness by not letting her in the coop (or wherever she is) You don't want a hen to be broody for long.

Back
Top Bottom