Advice please :) Bald Headed hen from rooster

CCFarms9559

Songster
9 Years
Jul 16, 2010
Jeffersontown, Ky
I have a hen that my rooster cut her head and pecked her head and neck really bad. I have had her in a cage in my screened in porch. Her head is dry, hard, painted with Blue Kote. I gave her antibiotics for a week, neosporin for her wounds and hand fed her until she started eating again. I have been taking her up to "visit" with the other hens and just shutting the rooster out so she would still be part of the flock and the other hens don't bother her - but she is definately at the bottom of the pecking order.

Here's my question. Do I keep her separated until she regrows feathers on her head (and how long would that take)? I have tried to get rid of my rooster, but noone wants him... Will she ever be able to go back in with the other chickens and not be picked on? I'm afraid she of the roo will have to go and am really not sure which one should go. The roo is no problem for the other hens - but she is a really sweet hen who's had a hard time.

awww poor hen.i would say wait until her wound is totally healed,then reintroduce her to the roo and see what happens.maybe someone can give you some better advice.good luck...

If she's all Blukote'd then I would put her back in with her friends. She likely won't grow feathers back any time in the near future, and in fact may not grow them all back until after a molt. The problem with isolating wounded/sick birds is that when it comes time to re-introduce them to the flock, sometimes the flock won't take them back. She's already low man on the pecking order, so the situation may get even worse for her after isolation. I'd either put her back in and observe for a few hours to make sure she isn't being picked on, or get a friend to live with her on the porch until she's healed. The second option will make it easier when it comes time for re-introduction. The two hens can share in the abuse that the flock is sure to hand out.

Have you considered setting up a bachelor pad for the rooster? Let him have conjugal visits with his ladies under your supervision?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I think you are right. I have been taking her up to visit with the girls - and she is a little timid, but fine. She is eating now and could go back with them - but the rooster is going to have to be separated. I think if he is out of there, she will be fine.

Thanks again for all the insight. This is all new to me.

OK, here's an update on my current progress - Her head is hard and dry. No feathers. Just kind of scabbed over. She is eating and moving all the time (making a huge mess on my deck) so I bought some newborn socks, cut off the toe portion and put the ankle part (actually sort of a sleeve now) over her head and covering the back of her neck. I took her back to the coop with the flock (rooster and all cause noone wants him..) They were way to interested in her "bandage" so I sprayed it with blu kote. Basically, I'm just trying to protect her bare neck. If the roo tries to mate her and grabs her neck, there are no feathers to protect it.. and he will reopen the area I have just spent a week healing. I thought the sock would protect it. Seems to be working. She's been up there all night and still has the sock on her head - and is not pecked or hurt. Up on the roost with everyone else tonight.

I waited til tonight so I would be home tomorrow to keep an eye on them all. I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

Quote:
I'm glad the sock trick worked. I haven't had much luck with it. There's another product out there call Rooster Booster and it's an anti-pecking lotion. It's brown so it helps to disguise those pecked out areas. Maybe give that a shot too.

Hahaha rooster booster is just brown dye that smellslike peppermints trust me my young pullet had a HOLE in the back of her head and i put the rooster booster and the others cant see the yummy new feather shafts comming in (i think its
sickbyc.gif
but they
love.gif
them)

Back
Top Bottom