Advice please, How to deal with the neighbor and their dogs Update pg5

Make her responsible! It does not seem like anyone is accountable anymore for their own actions (or lack of actions). If your horses got out & tore up her yard, you would be responsible for the damage. You told her more than once about her dogs. Your horses have the right to be protected on your own property. If she is on unemployement, then she should be training her dogs to stay in her yard!! I live on a private road, if my neighbors have a problem with a stray dog, they just shoot them to death! I only let my dogs out to run after work when I am home.

Go see Judge Judy or Judge Joe Brown. Sorry about her luck of unemployment. She has cost you dearly. She must pay. Tell her in a detailed letter how much she owes you and give her a time frame. Get it notarized and send the letter registered to have proof she received it. Then when she doesnt respond take her to small claims. You have a case if you have pictures. You told her several times to tie her dogs. I hate when a strange dog comes onto my property. It has only happened a couple of times and I chased them away. Finally they got into a cops yard and tore up his trash. Now they are in one of those invisible fences. But I was getting ready to take steps. If I had found a stray in with my rabbits and they are not pricey, they would have been dead just like my animals. Then I would have called the sheriff and dog owner to come get it.

The brittany, well take it to a humane sociecty....in another town. You are not harming the dog, it will just go to a new home!

You have already tried talking sensibly to her, and she still refuses to take appropriate action.

Start a file. In it record the dates and times of the attacks, what type of dogs were observed and what livestock they were harrassing and what livestock was maimed or killed.

List in there the dates and times of the conversations with the supposed owner of the dogs.

List the dates and times that you have notified the authorities of the incidents and what, if any, action was taken by them to resolve the issue.

Any livestock that was killed by these dogs need to be listed. You will need to include the original purchase price, the cost of raising them up to production levels, the cost of replacements.
You will also need to project the loss of income from the deceased animals. That includes the eggs and chicks from the birds, and the kits, fur and meat from the rabbits. Also include any Vet bills that you have incurred as a result of the attacks.

Get a copy of the local ordinances and familiarize yourself with them, make a copy for your neighbor and highlight the parts that pertain to what your rights are as a livestock owner.

Write her a letter that explains you position calmly and rationally, and that if she doesn't control her animals, that you will take what steps you are allowed to under the law to protect your livestock from future harm. That includes shooting the attacking animals if allowed by law. Put the highlighted copy in with the letter and send it certified mail, return receipt requested. Put the signed receipt in the file with your copy of the letter.

Some states allow up to triple damages for livestock that are destroyed by someone's dogs. Alot of communities now have dangerous dog ordinances as well.

The purpose of the file is so that if you have to go to court over this issue you will have proof that you have done your part to make sure that your animals were contained properly and that these dogs invaded your property and willfully attacked your animals. Include any photos that you have taken either of the dead animals and the destruction they caused or of the actual animals themselves while they are attacking your animals.

Make copies of everything in the file, keep the originals for yourself and have copies ready for the attorneys and the judge.

I'm in Kansas and it's your legal right to shoot them. There would have been no second chances here on our farm. If you don't want a confrontation with the owners apply the SSS rule. Any dogs caught chasing our cattle don't get a second chance.

ETA: By the way your sheriff is an idiot if he doesn't know the law!!

Last edited:
Being a dog owner this is hard to say but if you have warned the owner, they have killed your livestock and they continue to harrass your horses I would probably just SSS.

The problem being that your neighbour will probably just end up getting more dogs and letting them run wild like she is today....

I think taking her to small claims court for the losses would probably make her take more responsibility than simply making her dogs disappear...

Or you could just use my method which is 2 very protective GSD's that DO NOT let any other dogs anywhere near our property.

daisy-1.jpg

I am curious about this illegal to shoot dog thing? How can they sue you? I would ask to see the ordinance or call the DA to check on that...I am with the other folks...unemployment? Who cares! Send her a bill, charge interest, put in some agony and suffering and stick it to her...then when you get the okay...blast the dogs! I wouldn't take her cages or birds...unless you figure the market and take them at about half the cost and turn around and sell them. If it was a one time thing or even a second time thing and the owner had really tried but there isn't try there...get what is owed to you!

Back
Top Bottom