advice please! mallard duckling

Broodybeginner9

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 4, 2014
Hi there!
I am completely new to this site and need some good advice:)
I came to look after2 rescued wild mallard ducklings approx. 2 weeks ago. Long story short...Their mother was apparently seen trying to cross a busy motorway with 4 of her ducklings :-\ I reckon they were maybe about a week old at that point. I offered to take care of the ducklings until they are a bit bigger and can go to a local wildlife sanctuary. I'm no stranger to animals or looking after them (I work in a vets) but wild ducklings are new to me.
Sadly one of the ducklings died very suddenly after a week, despite eating and drinking, he didn't seem to grow at all. Whereas his sibling had doubled in size. I did everything I could for them, kept them warm, dry, clean, with appropriate food and fresh water. Sadly for my little runt duckling it just wasn't meant to be.
I still have my remaining fiesty duckling who is still growing and thriving. She has been a bit lonely since her brothers passing, though a mirror has helped her a lot (she loves to talk to her reflection and run around playing beside it).
My query is... today I've moved her from her original big indoor box, to an outdoor hutch type coop my partner built. It has a section which is indoor and cosy, and a section which has a wire mesh front for her to lookout. It has a roof though so she is protected from rain, and I keep it under the patio by the kitchen (again protected from the elements). I have a heat pad and soft fluffy towels which I put in the nesting part of her bed where she can be warm.
I'm just petrified that I've put her outside too early (I reckon she is 3 weeks now)? She will be brought in at night for a while yet until she has feathers, I'm just worried of her being cold during the day? Am in over reacting? Since I lost my first duckling so unexpectedly I've been extra cautious with my remaining duckling.

Thanks :) its kinda overwhelming how much info is on this site!! I live in Ireland so at the moment it's about 17-18degrees Celsius during the day.

your welcome :) I know!! There are so many members and so many posts its crazy!!! that's too cool for no heat source, but if he has a heat lamp making an area around 33 degrees Celsius, he would be fine. :) I hope he does good!

Eeekk! I will def be bringing her back inside then for a while yet! :-/
What age do you reckon she would be ok to be outside during the day?
I've been out all day today so she has been out in her pen all day, I've came home and she is thankfully ok. Warm and dry. Her wee nest was still nice and warm due to her heatpad. Though I will definitely be bringing her in now.
I also noticed she has started getting what looks like, some tail feathers :) yay!
My family think I have become obsessed with the duck... She's all I focus on/think about since I've got her lol. I just want to be sure I'm doing the best for her and it seems all the people on this site like yourself are very much in the know :)

you will be safe when he has his feathers in, usually about 4 months old. :) When i got my first ducklings, my family and friends loved them :) their so cute as ducklings...i mean, they are cute as adults too, but babies are so fuzzy and adorable! No one can hate a duckling :)

for a couple of hours with the heat pad, you should be fine, but i would not do much longer than 2 hours :) btw, when he has his feathers, he will be able 2 stay out their 24/7. :)

Duckie is still going strong and feisty as ever :) lol. I'm still not sure about its sex. I reckon him/her to be just over 3 weeks old now. What do you reckon, drake or hen?

Back
Top Bottom