Advice Please! Mites? Bumblefoot? I don't know!

BeckyB.

Chirping
Jul 15, 2018
East TN
Our buff orpington pullet has something going on with her feet! We gave her an epsom salt soak yesterday upon discovery. Today we went the route of a homeopathic method of treating for scaly leg mites. I can't find any pictures on the web that match hers and I have no experience with this particular issue. She is being active, but has been quarantined from the other 4 hens of course. They do not have any signs of sharing this condition with our little buff girl.

The photos are of her feet after a soak and then the roost bar where she sleeps every night.

Attachments

• image1 (10).jpeg
    image1 (10).jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 37
  • image1 (11).jpeg
    image1 (11).jpeg
    526.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Separate her and give antibiotics!! @Texas Kiki May know what kind to give or at least who would know
I would guess it is an infection, from what I have no idea. Is a vet an option or not?

I would not separate her unless the others are picking on her. I believe she would be less stressed in her normal area with her mates.

The others have not picked on her and she was very distressed to be locked in a separate coop. I felt really bad, but I just needed to get feedback from all the chicken pros out there. So, yea, I think i'll be putting doctor prescribed bacitracin zinc ointment on her land just letting her be herself. thanks!

Could a fire ant attack cause this? I know we have nest on our property. When I have been stung, it itches like mad for weeks and there is a blister that scabs over. etc.

Could a fire ant attack cause this? I know we have nest on our property. When I have been stung, it itches like mad for weeks and there is a blister that scabs over. etc.
I guess it is possible. Either way it still looks infected so keeping her on clean dry bedding is a good idea., With the ointment.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom