Advice required PLEASE!

Wild1

Songster
9 Years
Jan 29, 2014
Hi Guys, I am recently retired and have built a large pond in my garden. I live high in the mountains of Malaysia at an altitude of 1300meters above sea level. In my pond I have a pair of call ducks that are currently nesting and she has 8 eggs. I also have 2 pair of mallards, 1 pair of mini Cayugas but thay are showing no sign breeding, 1 pair of Toulouse Geese but very young goslings. Now to the crux of the matter I also have 2 female mandarin ducks, and recently I bought another pair of mandarins both male and female that I was told had eggs last year. They are quite obviously a pair as they stick together like glue. When I bought them the male had a really nice crest of feathers at the back of his head and looked pretty good although had no white on his head at all. I have read that these ducks have eggs April to May but the previous owner tells me this pair had eggs last August. Is this normal? Then today I noticed the male has lost all of his feather crest at the back of his head and beginning to look similar colour to the female. Is he moulting? It appears he is, when he should technically be getting ready to breed. I am confused and worried at the same time as to what is happening. Last note is I bought these from the lowlands in Malaysia where is is particularly hot and now they are up I. The hivjla ds where the temp is at least 15 degrees cooler. Would this be an issue?
Sorry for the long explanation and I hope someone can shed some light on this.

It sounds as if he is molting into his eclipse plumage. When his bright 'male' colors reappear (nuptual plumage) they are preparing to breed.
Thanks for this, how long generally does this take?
Is this normal for this time of the year?

Back
Top Bottom